T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I am new to this website as I ran across it last night. I am a magazine publisher but am getting into a line of t-shirts with some business partners.

My question is this, how much are you guys getting plain white t-shirts for? I get mine really cheap and from reading old posts on here, it looks like I am getting the best deal in the world for my 6.1oz t's.

Can't wait to hear some responses. . .

Marc

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Hi Marc, :welcome:

I get mine really cheap and from reading old posts on here, it looks like I am getting the best deal in the world
Since it seems like you already answered your own question in regards to what others are paying, why don't you start it off by sharing the pricing you are getting on your 6.1 oz blank tees, the quantity you purchased and what brand :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
On ssactivewear they are:

$1.22
$1.62
$1.97

I have been sticking with the Jerzees ZT and always get compliments on the quality of the fabric, you can't beat that ringspun cotton. These are fairly expensive starting at $1.79 but I think it will pay off. My theory is that if a t-shirt is comfortable people are inclined to wear it more often. I have my web site as a logo on the right sleeve. The more the t-shirt is worn the more other people will see it.

·
2,957 Posts
whpinc said:
6.1oz Gildans for under $1.50 each

Is this a good price?
Sounds about right. I don't use them anymore because my business is going in a different direction now. But when I did, I could get them for a little cheaper. I was buying very large quantities, though (4-5 thousand) along with a friend.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After looking at my invoices. I am paying $1.19 (that was a sale from from their normal $1.26).

But some of you guys are saying this might not be the best shirt. Does anyone else want to comment on "your favorite" shirt for the money.

I am about to place another order and I would be open to switching brands to a better shirt.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Like SpacemanFL, I really like the JerzeesZt, but I don't see many people using them anymore (I thought they were extinct).

More recently, I've been prefering Fruit of the Loom 50/50 tees because they seem much softer than 100% cotton.

I sell a lot of 6 oz Hanes tagless tees right now.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am going to pay a little bit more: €5.20 for an American Apparel (basic) t-shirt, that I'll buy in Germany (in the USA you can get them for cheaper, I understood). It's expensive. Nevertheless I choose for AA because of the fit and popularity, and the fact that I'll go for quality.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
SpacemanFL said:
You could also do like I did when starting out and order 1 each of a bunch of brands/blends and compare them first hand.
Also a good idea! Everyone's idea of "quality" is different, so getting the shirts in hand will let you decide which you think is best for you and your customers.

I kept hearing good things about proclub and I bought a few from eBay. Turns out they aren't good for me (although I can see why others like them).

·
Registered
950 Posts
What are some of the reasons that some say they do not like Gildan tees?

I just wonder what would be on your check list as to what a good tee is?

It might help those of us that are new to know what to look for.

I'm sure trend has something to do with it, but what else do you look for?

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Decal_Designs said:
What are some of the reasons that some say they do not like Gildan tees?

I just wonder what would be on your check list as to what a good tee is?

It might help those of us that are new to know what to look for.

I'm sure trend has something to do with it, but what else do you look for?
I think it comes down to preference. Some people swear by Gildans, I don't particularly care for them.

For me, they don't feel as "soft" as other tees and they feel kinda of scratchy (same with proclub).

One reason why I like the Jerzees Zt is because after it's printed and you get it in your hands, you can feel the "weight" of the shirt, and it feels pretty soft. It makes a nice first impression (same with the Hanes Beefy, but I would pick a Jerzees over a Hanes).

So I think for me, softness would be on the checklist for quality, also a good "weight".

I really like alternativeapparel t-shirts because of their softness. The softest t-shirt I've ever worn. But they make a specific style of shirts (a more vintage/lightweight style), so those that like super heavyweight shirts might not like them.

If a shirt has "ringspun cotton" in the description, that usually means that it's softer than your standard t-shirt.

I also like 50/50 t-shirts because they seem to have a good feel to them (Fruit of the Loom 50/50's are my favorite 50/50). I think the polyester content makes them a bit softer.

Other things that I notice are the sizing (does it run smaller than "normal" shirts. If so, that can be a drawback for reselling if the customer doesn't pick the right size). I also look at the neckhole to see if it's big or small or just right (or if it stretches out after a few wears).

·
Registered
243 Posts
Chicks and metrosexuals dig American Apparel!

But there’s a problem brewing. Around my area, West LA, there’s 6 AA stores within a 10 mile radius, probably less. In order to compete in the traditional retail setting, they have “store only” styles, which are of course, some of the most popular styles. If people get use to a “store only” style/fit which we can’t get, it kind of screws the people who want to print on what’s really popular at the moment.

But diversion does exist!

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Personally, i love Gildan, and detest Jerzee Ts.

I'm very fond of AA and some of my favorite shirts are on AA, but the fit is very unflattering to a certain percentage of the population (but this of course depends on the demographic you're targetting...but the average web-shirt buyer is always going to be a little larger, I think it's fair to say).

Fruit of the Loom shirts are lovely for the first few weeks, but seem very prone to severe pilling after a couple of washes.

There's no real consensus here....my advice would be like that above...get samples of all the major brands, wear them, wash them a few times, dry them in different ways....and see which is still your favorite shirt after a few weeks. It might well change after your Favorite Brand X turns into a shrunken pilling mess after a couple of cleans.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Rodney said:
I think it comes down to preference. Some people swear by Gildans, I don't particularly care for them.

For me, they don't feel as "soft" as other tees and they feel kinda of scratchy (same with proclub).
I have a lot of printed Gildan 6.1oz shirts I've bought from people... and while they do feel like they are a quality weight, they definitely do have a sort of stiffness to them. Mean cotton?

That said... they aren't BAD or anything - especially for the money.

But then, I haven't worn a Jersey ZT yet either.

I'm going to do as the guy above said & order 1 of each potential shirt type and see what will be best for us.

We're planning on ordering a couple thousand shirts to start, so I better be sure ;)

·
Registered
302 Posts
monkeylantern said:
I'm very fond of AA and some of my favorite shirts are on AA, but the fit is very unflattering to a certain percentage of the population
Good point and exactly why I didn't go with AA besides the fact I think they are overpriced.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Latley I've been printing Hanes. Was using Gildans because they were cheap, but after several trips through the wash they just don't seem to look as nice.
Nothing makes my day more than to see a customer walk into my store wearing a tee I made up 2 or 3 years ago that does'nt look like a rag.

·
Registered
49 Posts
CoolHandLuke said:
Chicks and metrosexuals dig American Apparel!

But there’s a problem brewing. Around my area, West LA, there’s 6 AA stores within a 10 mile radius, probably less. In order to compete in the traditional retail setting, they have “store only” styles, which are of course, some of the most popular styles. If people get use to a “store only” style/fit which we can’t get, it kind of screws the people who want to print on what’s really popular at the moment.

But diversion does exist!
Simple solution. F them and their "store only" styles policy.

(and point them to this thread)

If the bulk buyers started buying a different comparable product... an ALERTNATIVE product.

Then maybe they would rethink that "store only" policy.

I wonder what the breakdown is for their retail store buyers Vs. bulk buyers is.

If it's anywhere near 50/50, I would think they wouldn't want to piss off either group.

The best way to do that is not give one more priority or exclusivity over the other. Let the designs be exclusive, not the garments.

disclaimer: I'm only responding to what you've posted above. I have no idea if AA even has the policy you claim they do :p (but if they do, they suck, imho)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts