T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone my name is Mike and i have recently put together a small team of friends that are interested in starting a T-shirt printing company with me. We have designs, equipment, and the experience in silk screening to do so hopefully. The only problem is our lack of knowledge in how to start a company. Ive read many threads on this site, and googled a lot only to get a vague idea as to what needs to be done, so my questions are as followed.

1. What would i need to do to start a company (in brick, ocean county, newjersey)?

2. Is a trademark needed to be a legit company?

3. What is needed to start an ecommerce website?

thank you for any and all help, at this point ill take anything :)

·
Registered
487 Posts
First of all, WELCOME! You've come to the right place. I'm more than sure that you will find the help that is needed here!
Let me see if I can get you started on the right foot.

1. What would i need to do to start a company (in brick, ocean county, newjersey)?
I believe everwhere is different, but, you'll need to register a business name in the state that you live in. You will also need to apply for a business license. Most likely, if you are going to be selling printed items, you'll need a sales and use tax number as well. This will allow you to purchase goods tax-free for resale. Check here to get started: NJ Business Portal | Taking Care of Business | Starting A Business

2. Is a trademark needed to be a legit company?
NO. A trademark would be something you would want if you created a brand or logo that you did not want anyone to copy. For example: Lucky Brand jeans, is a trademarked name and logo. If you are just starting a business, you only need to make sure the name of your business is not already taken in your state. Here is a page on the State of NJ website about Reserving and Registering your business name: NJ Business Portal | Taking Care of Business | Naming Your Business

3. What is needed to start an ecommerce website?
You'll probably want to start with purchasing a domain name (www.yourcompany.com). I'd recommend not getting any other extension other than a ".com" if possible. Also, try to keep it AS CLOSE to your actual comany name as possible. If you aren't ready to setup your own website right now, there are several places that will allow you to sell and use a sub domain of theirs for a monthly fee. EBAY has stores for those starting out, also, Yahoo and Google.
We, personally, use SureMerchant's MyCart Online Store Builder. We've been VERY happy with their service and easy to use setup.

Anyway, sorry for the long winded response, but YOU ASKED FOR IT! Hope this helps!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts