T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Shocker2155 said:
I see that a lot of shirts have Material from USA, but assembled in Mexico. What is the advantage of this.
Better quality cotton in the US (I believe that's the reason anyway), cheaper labour in Mexico.

Shocker2155 said:
Seems like a lot of shipping of material.
The labour cost difference is so large that it still works out cheaper I guess, but the environmental impact is appalling.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
hongkongdmz said:
I would say better labour in the US rather then superior cotton...and cheaper in Mexico and elsewhere.
Better labour in the US wouldn't explain what the poster was talking about: the combination of US cotton and Mexican labour. Judging by AA I don't think US labour is any better than any other country - if anything it's slightly worse (either that or companies like Hanes, FotL, Gildan, etc. must throw out a lot of shirts to arrive at a more consistent product).

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
hongkongdmz said:
So people would buy AA because of the label and 'American quality'?
People would buy AA for any number of reasons (marketing, image, wide product range, soft fabric, fashion fit & style, etc.), but yes in my opinion a large part of that is that it's American made: not because of any quality implications of that, just because of the political angle (be it anti-sweatshop or "support local").

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.