T-Shirt Forums banner

BLACKMAX INK Help understanding the need for BLACKMAX INK

[Photoshop] -  
3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  BrendalVinci 
#1 ·
Hello and Good Day to Everyone,

i am on this forum because i receive the most informative help, and i am starting to get real close to my second major attempt at printing a successful design i am satisfied with.

I recently read the post from sben763 about using blackmax ink without using accurip to produce films for screenprinting, which is very cool and that is what i plan to do.

okay i am aware that it can work and it is possible, but is it necessarily worth it, and can you provide me with important facts to why it is useful. for example if i am printing spot colors where the image is just one solid color and no color blends whatsoever, why cant i go with the old fashion way of using photoshop selecting the magic wand and choosing the color inverse and then that puts the image in a solid black color separated state. and when i print i get the image i need necessary to burn in the exposure unit.

so why would blackmax be necessary if i can use just the one regular black ink cartridge, ?

I just want to make sure because i am on a budget and i dont want to purchase blackmax ink if i dont need it, but i definitly will if i do need it, or if it would make my film and burning procedure to take place more efficiently,

thank you all for your time and patience
and keep printing, i love this

See less See more
#2 ·
If you're on a budget and just testing out or playing around I personally wouldn't get into the blackmax. I've been using standard epson ink for films and have had zero problems as long as I double up the prints. Run the same film through twice (make sure it goes back in the correct way) and it's dark enough to expose properly.

This allows me to still use my printer for everyday printing and epson ink is a little cheaper (read: no printer ink is cheap) thank the blackmax. I'd love to hear other opinions though.

i dont want knowledge; i want certainty

#3 ·
Thank you for the timely response, i totally understand that, but what about all that jazz when they talk about color separations and halftones , wouldnt blackmax be beneficial for such a process?? or even accurip but ive read there are ways around that too,

#17 · (Edited)
Epson is much more than the bulk Blackmaxx especially when printing twice. Epson cartridges cost $19.99 per 18ml. A 1000ml bottle Blackmaxx cost $130 so for a 1000ml in epson ink its gonna cost over $1000. Leaves a little room to buy some refillable cartridges.

If buying Blackmaxx cartridges they are $25 ea. and yes would be more expensive but you can use a setting that uses less ink. I have never used the cartridges though because using the blackmaxx or Epson cartridges makes no financial sense to me.

Reactions: lennyb86
#5 ·
I have been using epson inks since I started 5 years ago. If you change your print settings to photo quality and photo paper you won't have to print it twice. Black max ink to me is a waste. I actually have never used it.... But I don't need to spend that money. I do separations in photoshop and have done about 25 halftone designs without a RIP.

#6 ·
Blackmax is a total rip off! I've used it before. Now i just use bulk black UV dye ink from ebay and refillable cartridges. I load all the black cartridges in my printer (epson 4800) and set paper type to photo quality inkjet. My transparencies come out 1000x darker then using blackmax! Also there are a few ways to produce halftones with out a rip but it's very hard to find any information on the web about how to do so. Trade secret i guess =P

#8 ·
I only buy the blackmaxx in bulk. It's not that much more then most the eBay stuff. There is a difference and I don't have to lay as much ink as the stuff of eBay. I use the rest of my printers with refillable UV dye ink but not my film printer. The other stuff works just as well if you lat it on heavier but risk loosing detail. I use about 1/3-1/2 less in than standard dye ink. I also print all black from CISS the $130 bottle I have printed over 1000 films have a full 100 ml in each color and have I more refill. I know from my experience that I can not get that printing with standard UV dye. Side by side there in a noticeable difference. Please share what you use I'll be more than happy to buy some and compare. I'm all about Savin money.

Reactions: lennyb86
#9 ·
I use 2 different HP printers both laser printers HP1020 and HP5200. I also use Casey's papermill better than vellum. I use the standard HP toner and have no problem printing block prints or halftones.
Also if you would like to know how to make halftones with Photoshop without sep software just let me know and I will tell you. It's not a big trade secret. I love sharing what I know.

#14 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.