T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new at working in Illustrator and I'm using spot colors for screen printing (new at that too). I changed Pantone Black C into CMYK and then into a spot color. The CMYK is 0/14/39/98 not 90/80/80/100, the ratio that makes pure black in other jobs I've done for full color print. Am I doing the switch to spot color correctly to prepare the design for silk screening? Will it end up printing as Pantone Black C? And if I do the other colors the same way (changing to CMYK and then to spot) will they end up printing true to the solid/coated numbered colors in my Pantone book? :eek:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
It doesn't really matter what the exact percentages are for spot colors, since you can substitute whatever color ink you want when loading ink into the screen. Just as long as you changed your swatch to a spot color as opposed to a process color swatch. You should rename your swatch to the pantone color that you want for that screen though to make sure the printer loads the correct color ink into the screen. There should be different pantone color books under the swatch libraries tab. I think the most common pantone books used in screen printing are PANTONE solid coated and PANTONE solid uncoated. I always type out the pantone color names and assign them the corresponding spot color, so that the pms color prints out on the film positive as well.

·
Registered
342 Posts
In your color pallet you should have a little square in the corner of each of the color chips. That indicated that it is a spot color.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts