T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am using Illustrator and Photoshop and trying to create a black and white photorealistic halftone image out of the attached so that i can screen print the image on to paper/card/t-shirt.

Does anybody have any advice as to how i may produce this effect?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
:)

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Take it to photoshop and either de-saturate or convert it to a greyscale image
Then, make your positive film using at least 45 dpi and burn your screen at least using a 200/245 mesh.
Unless you want to use bigger halftone dots, you can get away with 35 line.
the higher your dpi, the better the image
the higher your dpi, the higher mesh you will need

you may have to play around with your curves and levels in photoshop to get a good detail

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the help and quick response. once i have de-saturated the image or turned it to grayscale i presume i have to convert the image to a bitmap and create a halftone screen?

i've been playing around with the settings for some time now and don't seem to be able to achieve the quality i require. i guess practice makes perfect.

i have tried printing the image on to a transparency yet, just paper so i guess thats part of the reason why it doesn't look the way i would like it to.

do you have any advice on how to lay emulsion down i.e one coat on ink side two on other???

many thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
Once you have your image ready to print you need to print it to a Postcript printer - you cannot print this to an inkjet unless you have the postcript option.

the other way you can work it is to convert it to bitmap, use the 50% threshold and select halftone screen. I would not go that way because it is not the correct way of doing it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
1) open image in photoshop
2) convert image to GRAYSCALE (image---mode---grayscale)
3) go back to MODE-----image----bitmap
4) output = 600.... method = halftone screen
5) frequency = 35 (the lower the value, the farther apart the dots
6) angle = 45 (or any)
7) shape = square

click ok and you're done...

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
thank you very much frank and henry and to others on this thread for a very informative tips. i followed your instructions and now i know how to halftone a black and white picture through photoshop. thank you very much again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts