T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have printed with the red and blue water based inks and after adjusting my pressure on the squeegee I was able to make a quality image. Haven't tried the green yet.
The black has been a major problem, I shook the paint to make sure its fully mixed, applied to screen and flooded the graphic then lowered the screen onto the scrap shirt, the first pass applied so much ink I had the graphic on the platen, the second pass new location I adjust my squeegee angle to almost vertical and used very little pressure and still flooded the graphic. can't read words at all, but the platen is clean this time. The ink seems almost water like compared to the first two colors.............. tempted to use a spray bottle and spray it through the screen.
Should I use off contact with this or allow it to dry somewhat or use a higher mesh screen like a 156, can't go any lighter on the squeegee or I won't be touching the screen.

Like I said blue was great, red worked after I adjusted angle and pressure, even did well when I used the white plastisol on a shirt, but the black is kicking my backside, and most of the graphic I'm doing are black.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm using a rayonet rc waterbase (301)
Used some stir sticks to mix it but still loads up heavy, and without registration the base color on a few shirts with two colors are only flashed, You can't even read the text after the second color, saturation is real bad, even with a light squeegee stroke. Even tried off contact with some quarters taped to the screen, same thing I do with the plastisol, didn't think it was needed but tried it anyway.

Sounds good, I will move up on the mesh, what about 230, I will want to do some fine detail and maybe use discharge on the darks??? I will need to practice and get the new press before I do it though. I need registration so I can trap these and not have to overlay with water base or plastisol unless a base coat is needed. Will 230 be to much for plastisol or should I move to water base totally???? I have some plastisol thinner if needed, 3 to 5 percent to thin it down I think, some one said up to 10 percent but thats pushing the limit. I want to have print options based on the customers I hope to generate.

I will use plastisol until I get some more screens for the water base. I was only going to use it on the dark colors but I think I have enough in inventory to finish my shirts for this weekend. I really like the soft hand on the water color samples I did (blue and red), wife likes them also, she said she likes the feel of the shirt better with the water base but she also wants me to be ready for the street-fest this weekend, she has most of her stained glass items tagged and boxed ready to go. She's had 5 years learning her craft.
Thanks guys, these are things I had thought of but I'm a newbie and always start second guessing myself and don't now which way to go sometimes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.