T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to find a quality shirt that looks good in black. I purchased a Hanes Heavyweight 50/50, Hanes Beefy and Gildan Ultra Blend Heavyweight. The first thing that I noticed was that the first two t-shirts looked faded in comparison to the Gildan t-shirt and other black t-shirts that I have. Does anyone have any recommendations for black t-shirts?

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
I would suggest you keep buying until you find the one you like :)

I've tried a lot of black shirts and haven't found any one to be any better than the rest. I know that certain garments can come out different based on how they were dyed, so it could be that you got a bad dye lot.

But if the color is a specific concern to you, I think by buying samples from the various manufacturers and styles and picking the one you like the best is going to be your best route.

:welcome:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought a black Jezees Heavyweight, Jezees Heavyweight Long Sleeve, Jerzee Heaveweight Blend 50/50 Crew Neck, Hanes Heavyweight Long Sleeve, Hanes Catton Heavyweight, Gildan Cotton Long Sleeve, Gildan ULtra Cotton, Fruit of the Loom Heavy Cotton Long Sleeve, Fruit of the Loom Lofteez Cotton, Anvil Cotton Tee and Fine Jersey Short Sleeve Tee.

What is AA?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Dont settle on any until you try the american apparal brand. This is the brand that Rodney used for our tshirt forums shirts that he gave to us, I am wearing mine now, and Im telling you the feel of this shirt is just awesome. It is so soft and is just a great shirt over all. Now we didnt get black shirts, so I cant say about the color, but the feel is superb. Thanks again Rodney!

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
yeah, all the blank t-shirt brands mentioned here are all (for the most part) made for the imprint biz. So they use high quality fabric dye, black, brown etc... that will not burn off the shirt when using a heat press, for example.

One problem you will run into when using cheap t-shirts or t-shirts off the shelf from non-imprint type brands, sometimes the dye burns off the shirt when heat is applied. Its sorta looks like stains appear out of no-where on the shirt. The stain look is acctually the cotton color " Greige " that comes thru on the spots where the dye burned off.

This problem is also something one should look into when starting their own blank t-shirt line etc...

Test the Fabric before you manufacture the shirts.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Yep....I have a couple Jerzees black shirts that are staining not from the heatpress but from sunlight and whatever people have on thier hands. The shirt is a dislay and has been picked up several times...now just a blotchy mess of a rag.

·
Registered
255 Posts
skulltshirts said:
Dont settle on any until you try the american apparal brand. This is the brand that Rodney used for our tshirt forums shirts that he gave to us,
Thomas,

I am not sure which shirt you received, but, mine is an "Alternative Apparel" not "American Apparel." Which I believe all the shirts were, BUT, I could be wrong. It is a very nice, very soft shirt.

·
Registered
344 Posts
DFras said:
Thomas,

I am not sure which shirt you received, but, mine is an "Alternative Apparel" not "American Apparel." Which I believe all the shirts were, BUT, I could be wrong. It is a very nice, very soft shirt.
Im sure you are right, I just got the names switched around. Im sure Rodney will verify the brand he used. How much difference is there in the 2 companys? Does anyone know?

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Yep, the t-shirts used for the t-shirtforums shirts were AlternativeApparel.

The companies have different styles and the shirts fit a bit differently, but the quality is very similar. I think the AlternativeApparel shirts are softer, but the AmericanApparel shirts have "tighter necks"

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
skulltshirts said:
How much difference is there in the 2 companys? Does anyone know?
There are some differences in quality control and range (American seem to have more defective product, but they also have a wider range (especially if you want to go beyond t-shirts), more colours, etc.).

There is also a large difference in management and marketing styles, which some people would prefer wasn't talked about, while others would consider extremely relevant to selecting a business partner.

As usual, google is everybody's friend in beginning your own independent research.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
yes, I guess it all comes down to choosing the best black t-shirt is a matter of opinion.

But whatever you do, don't burn any bridges with any other suppliers of such.
Because things do change constantly, it's a small world and this will HURT you for sure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts