T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all;
I made a design that is going to be printed on a black shirt with black ink. Just have a couple questions. I have 2 different types of black, they are both plastisol. The first is a Rayonet super opaque, it seems to turn shinny after curing, which I dont like. The second is a Ryonet matte black, which i am more fond of because it stays a flat black after the cure.
Now, I see shirts where it looks like the ink just lightens up the thread of the shirt just a little bit, you can see a design there but its not prominent, it is usually in the background of a design. This is the effect I am looking for.
I was thinking of mixing a small amount of grey with my matte black to lighten it up just a little bit.

Will this give me the effect I am looking for?
Can I even achieve this with plastisol?

Thanks for all your help.

· Registered
460 Posts
i am assuming in the end you are looking for a "ghosted" type of image. if so there is alot of ways you can achieve what your are looking to do. try your method see if it comes out how you want. if the doesnt work you could use a black or grey discharge and see how that turns out or back print the image if the fabric will allow it.

· Registered
1,451 Posts
If you use discharge inks, you need to mix a TON of black pigment into the discharge to get a ghosted image. Straight waterbased black on black shirts doesn't show up at all, and discharge base with a fair amount of pigment comes out dark gray. We printed a black discharge on black shirts a few months back, and I don't remember the exact formula, but we mixed a ton of regular waterbased ink into the discharge along with a ton of black pigment to get the ghosted look. I think black plastisol lightened up just a touch would work best. We were printing an all over print so plastisol wasn't really an option.

· Registered
988 Posts
When you print the shirt take a photo an let us see. I have not done a black shirt, but I did an AA charcoal tee and I used plastisol with a slither of white. came out very nicely on the tee. When things slow down I may try a black shirt so let us no how it printed.

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.