T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone. I've started setting up a little printing shop out of my house and have been using a Black Body Little Buddy Conveyor (no temp control) to cure the shirts I'm printing (with WB inks) I'm using Alternative Apparel shirts. Some heathered, some burnouts, some straight 100% cotton ~3.something oz.

The issue I'm running into is during the curing stage. I've been playing around with the belt speed (between 40 and 60) but always find that if I make the belt speed slow enough for the ink to get to 320F for even 10 or 15 seconds the shirts will, best case, change color (the 100% cotton red fabric will fade for instance) or worse case, melt the shirt in a bad way (the heathered blends)

Anyone run into this before? I'd definitely like for the shirt to be cured before it leaves my shop so I don't want to rely on air-cure.

Thoughts?
Thanks!

· Registered
438 Posts
Really?

I've had shirts fade from heat, but it's temporary. I've never melted a blended shirt, and I've had them up to almost 400°.

I'm not using AA shirts though, most of mine are 6+ oz cottons.

What are you using to check temperatures?

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response, here's the shirt:

heather grey: 40’s 67% cotton, 33% polyester

For temperature I'm using an IR non-contact temperature gun.

· Premium Member
4,310 Posts
Not sure if I understand what you are saying. Are you letting the shirts hit 320˚ for 10-15 seconds? If so, it's not necessary. As soon as it hits 320˚, it's cured. Normally you check the temp on the exit. If you mean that it could take 10-15 seconds for it to reach 320˚, then that would be ok and most likely the shirts will go back to it's regular color. Of course it could be the dyes and fabrics as well.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Jerid. Thanks for your reply. I'm printing using waterbased and my instructions say the following:

DRYING/CURING: ink must be cured for 2.5 to 3 minutes at 300 to 320 degrees F under typical infrared heat.

I'm not getting even close to the 2 minute mark and still running into issues.

super puzzled.

· Premium Member
4,310 Posts
Whoops, didn't realize you would be doing waterbased inks. Strange that it would be that high. My understand of waterbased inks is you want to dry it at a lower temperature for a longer period of time. I don't think the little buddy dryer works well for this, of course I could be wrong.

From what I've always known it to be, you need a much longer belt, gas dryer and circulating air for best results. Others who've printed waterbased inks hopefully will chime in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.