T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if another post like this appears. I submitted a post yesterday and it never appeared.

I'm wondering about the difference between the Commerce and Shopify and your experiences / opinions.

I was leaning toward Bigcommerce because they tout not having fees, but they also are not publicly traded like Shopify and I don't feel they are as stable and I know Shopify has investors behind their quality control.

I'm also reading that Shopify has better templates and lots of features. Any other ecommerce suggestions??

I have limited styles that I am creating my own website for and I'm starting out by having t-shirts done locally and I will hand-ship them for the time being.

I don't mind spending $30 a month to have a reliable e-commerce site and I need to get something up and running today.

Thanks!!!

· Registered
16 Posts
Check out Americommerce.com. They have been around since the 90?s and the amount of options you have is unmatched at the price point. I?ve been using them since 1998. I even had a time where my custom html form I uploaded was hijacked and being used as a spambot. They caught it within an hour, fixed the code for me, and prevented my domain with being black listed by all the DNS and search engines out there.

They have a basic option starting at $25 a month and their standard option at $40. Basic does the trick for most small businesses. It does have a bit of a learning curve though. Shopify is much easier to get up and running; however, the rmteade off is a lot less options in the design and functionality of your site. If you just want something up, clean, and working right away - I would go with Shopify. For full control and the ability to customize the HTML and most features for your buck, Americommerce.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much, Reason. This is very helpful!!! Definitely looks like the y have a lot to offer. Happy Thanksgiving!

Check out Americommerce.com. They have been around since the 90?s and the amount of options you have is unmatched at the price point. I?ve been using them since 1998. I even had a time where my custom html form I uploaded was hijacked and being used as a spambot. They caught it within an hour, fixed the code for me, and prevented my domain with being black listed by all the DNS and search engines out there.

They have a basic option starting at $25 a month and their standard option at $40. Basic does the trick for most small businesses. It does have a bit of a learning curve though. Shopify is much easier to get up and running; however, the rmteade off is a lot less options in the design and functionality of your site. If you just want something up, clean, and working right away - I would go with Shopify. For full control and the ability to customize the HTML and most features for your buck, Americommerce.

· Registered
4,503 Posts

Spam Alert!!!:cool:
All horrible...horrible platforms!
I don't know how they are still in business.
If you don't know what you are doing people, I have just one advise for you. Unless you can build your own website, in your own server, stick to Ebay, Amazon, and Etsy.

· Registered
9 Posts
Why are they "horrible platforms"? Care to elaborate?

Unless you can build your own website, in your own server
Im on a really tight budget here thats why im even starting with print on demand because how cheap it is to get started and move up from there to other ways to make money online.

stick to Ebay, Amazon, and Etsy.
For what i´ve heard the commision these platform pays are very low in comparisson to others like Teespring or Redbubble...care to comment on this?

Thanks for any feedback.

· Registered
1,568 Posts
Ebay, Amazon and Etsy don't pay commission. You pay listing and selling fees and the rest is your profit.

I have developed my own website with Ecwid embedded. Dead easy, and Ecwid handles everything well for a reasonable monthly payment.

· Registered
4,503 Posts
Why are they "horrible platforms"? Care to elaborate?

Im on a really tight budget here thats why im even starting with print on demand because how cheap it is to get started and move up from there to other ways to make money online.

Why is horrible horrible? Because it is, and these platforms are totally useless.
Sell your products on Ebay, Amazon and Etsy instead. At least there, you do have a chance to make a sale.
Leave the website for later, when you have some cash, and steady sales.

It will also serve as a reality test. If you cannot make a sale on Ebay, Amazon and Etsy, then your products will not sell on your website either.

· Registered
1,568 Posts
TABOB is right. I started on ebay and etsy long before I considered my own website. However, once you start to become known and have plenty real sales under your belt, then you can save a lot in fees by selling on your own site. You'd still have PayPal etc. transaction fees to pay though. I would always run my own site alongside ebay and etsy though and never rely on it for all my income.

· Registered
5 Posts
WEBTREKKER / TABOB -- ThX for the info... I was in the process of preparing to load my shirts into SHOPIFY... I will lose some money now if I go ahead to cancel them however I don't mind if it's best for me to go EBAY/ETSY ROUTE... What are your (or anyone) thoughts on POD's, in particular PRINTFUL? At this point I still need a POD but soon I would like to move to my own controlled site like suggested... So again, what are your thoughts on PRINTFUL or do you, or anyone else, have other suggestions for POD's? Thx.

· Registered
9 Posts
Spam Alert!!!

All horrible...horrible platforms!
I don't know how they are still in business.
If you don't know what you are doing people, I have just one advise for you. Unless you can build your own website, in your own server, stick to Ebay, Amazon, and Etsy.
Why is horrible horrible? Because it is, and these platforms are totally useless.
Sell your products on Ebay, Amazon and Etsy instead. At least there, you do have a chance to make a sale.
Leave the website for later, when you have some cash, and steady sales.

It will also serve as a reality test. If you cannot make a sale on Ebay, Amazon and Etsy, then your products will not sell on your website either.
TABOB is right. I started on ebay and etsy long before I considered my own website. However, once you start to become known and have plenty real sales under your belt, then you can save a lot in fees by selling on your own site. You'd still have PayPal etc. transaction fees to pay though. I would always run my own site alongside ebay and etsy though and never rely on it for all my income.
Thank you guys for your insights on the topic deeply appreciated. Now, focusing now retailers for now and NOT websites what do you guys think of places like Teespring, Redbubble and Teechip? Is it better to sell here rather on amazon, ebay and etsy giving the competition in those places and a much higher profit margin?

· Registered
4,503 Posts
Thank you guys for your insights on the topic deeply appreciated. Now, focusing now retailers for now and NOT websites what do you guys think of places like Teespring, Redbubble and Teechip? Is it better to sell here rather on amazon, ebay and etsy giving the competition in those places and a much higher profit margin?
There is no much money to be made in Teespring, Redbubble etc. Basically you do the work and they make the money.

· Registered
9 Posts
There is no much money to be made in Teespring, Redbubble etc. Basically you do the work and they make the money.
Im way more lost than i initially thought, i was under the impression the royalties paid by Amazon under their Amazon Merch platform was very small im comparisson to other print on demand fullfilment companies like those i mention above + waay more compatitiveness as amazon and ebay are the 2 largest online marketplaces in the world.

· Registered
4,503 Posts
Im way more lost than i initially thought, i was under the impression the royalties paid by Amazon under their Amazon Merch platform was very small im comparisson to other print on demand fullfilment companies like those i mention above + waay more compatitiveness as amazon and ebay are the 2 largest online marketplaces in the world.
There is a reason for this obviously. People do make money with Amazon Merch, but Amazon is greedy (just like everyone else) and will squeeze royalties as much as possible.

· Registered
9 Posts
Any insight on which co. is the best POD, esp. if not using the major platforms to sell through?
I think i will be using Printfull since it has some of the cheapest prices in clothing & appareal in comparisson to like Teespring and Printaura and a **** lots of high quality products (100% cotton, poly blends, tri-blends, etc) from recognizable brands such as Gildan, Bella+Canvas, Anvil, American Apparel and many others.
Their shipping speed and prices range from 2 to 7 business days but it usually take about 5 business days to deliver if you use USPS and 1-3 days if you take the expedited service of FedEX. You can always use a 3rd party to take care of this if you want, they also offer an integration with ShipStation which is a paid shipping services but it not only allow you to improve your shipping delay time but also allows you to brand all lables and packings.

Printful also offers integration with other many others partners and 3rd party servcices and also marketplaces like Amazon (You will need a Sellers account), Ebay, Etsy, Inktake, Ecwid, Storenvey, etc,. It also allows integration through a API key to sites like WooCommerce, SquareSpace, Shopify, BigCartel and even if you have a weebly store.
You can also have a manual order platform integration using your store API key.
So im no expert on this field but i think this is what im going with, if you know anything better please let us know or just PM me, cheers.

· Registered
4,503 Posts
I think i will be using Printfull since it has some of the cheapest prices in clothing & appareal in comparisson to like Teespring and Printaura and a **** lots of high quality products (100% cotton, poly blends, tri-blends, etc) from recognizable brands such as Gildan, Bella+Canvas, Anvil, American Apparel and many others.
Their shipping speed and prices range from 2 to 7 business days but it usually take about 5 business days to deliver if you use USPS and 1-3 days if you take the expedited service of FedEX. You can always use a 3rd party to take care of this if you want, they also offer an integration with ShipStation which is a paid shipping services but it not only allow you to improve your shipping delay time but also allows you to brand all lables and packings.

Printful also offers integration with other many others partners and 3rd party servcices and also marketplaces like Amazon (You will need a Sellers account), Ebay, Etsy, Inktake, Ecwid, Storenvey, etc,. It also allows integration through a API key to sites like WooCommerce, SquareSpace, Shopify, BigCartel and even if you have a weebly store.
You can also have a manual order platform integration using your store API key.
So im no expert on this field but i think this is what im going with, if you know anything better please let us know or just PM me, cheers.
Now, you are on the right track... but don't fixate too much to it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts