T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People from nigeria like to skam t-shirt companies for some reason. Check this email coorespondance I had with a nigerian, "buyer". Some of things this guy wrote me are so rediculous. Also see: http://www.goingpostal.cc/NigerianT-shirtConnection.htm for an article on these skammers.

Heres my conversation with the guy over email. I starred out wholesale prices , because I do not wish to share those:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Sales,

Iam interested and also will like to purchase this items mention below from your store/company,and also like to know the Total costs price and the USPS(EMS)2-3 DAYS EXPRESS DELIVERY SERVICE costs,so as so to know the whole amounts to pay for:

ADULT X-LARGE SIZES ROUND TEE-SHIRTS 150 PCS

They are really needed for urgent supply of promotional sales needs pls

Here is the shipping address below:

BILL/SHIP TO: SAMUEL ADEWALE JOHNSON

5 ADEOYA CLOSE DALEKO

MUSHIN LAGOS 23401

NIGERIA.

Payment will be made by my Credit Card, MC & VC CARD IN U.S.DOLLARS, let me know pls, so as to forward to you my credit card details to charge for the order to be shipped at onced at once.

Hope to hear from you back today.

Thank's

Regards

Samuel Johnson

5 Adeoya Close Daleko

Mushin Lagos 23401

Nigeria.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Samuel,

For 150 shirts, the price would be $*.** USD each. The total cost for shipment would

be $600 . The total cost for the order would be $****.

*The guy miss-understood my price and actually added the total for the entire order with the shipping cost, and still said he wanted to buy the shirts for an astronomical price.

Jon

Well ok no problem regarding the total costs ($****),yes i still want the t-shirts,and ok with you shipping three boxes.

But pls you see this customers of mine iam supplying this items to here are the most valued out of all my customers, and i dont want to loose them.

So i want to give them a gifts,of which iam thinking of :

HP COMPAQ LAPTOPS WITH CONFIGURATIONS OF:

---PENTIUM IV

---15/17 INCH SREEN

---512 MB

---40/60 GB

---CD/DVD WR

---2.8 GHZ

---CD DISCOVERY

Pls jon, i want you to pls kindly help me in getting this units above,let me know it's costs, add it to this whole amounts, so as to forward you my credit card details to charge at once.

Pls dont worry about this, as everything have been put together with the bank for my credit card to be approved to you when running it for this order.

thank you for your understanding and efforts.

Waitting to hear from you.

regards

samuel johnson

No, we do not sell those items. If you want to buy these shirts,
please send us your address. You can send your payment for the 150
shirts via paypal for the amount of $**** USD to *****@gmail.com

Never heard back from this guy.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Re: Beware Of Nigerian Buyers!

Good post.

It's a good business practice to never respond to these emails or ever ship merchandise if you receive one of these emails.

They are NEVER legitimate.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Yeah, they always try to make you send stuff right away too so you don't have time to think it over. Basically, Shipping anywhere in Africa is pretty risky; I don't know what the best payment method would be the help ensure a legal and real bid (in the off chance someone there actually DOES want some shirts); money order, perhaps?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shipping in africa (or anywhere in the world) is ok as you get payment first. Paypal, money order, or as going postal suggests, Gold Coins ;) . As long as you can have the cash in your bank account before you ship the item.

My question about these people is WHY T-SHIRTS??? One would think that this type of scam might work against a large company that is not organized, but not a againt a small t-shirt company run by 1 or 2 people. I would think that they would want to get a higher end item than t-shirts...maybe electronics (although "samuel" tried to get me to buy him a computer ;) )I wonder if anyone has actually sent these people shirts? I guess somebody must have, or they wouldn't keep trying?

·
Registered
389 Posts
That's where they get your merchandise but don't really pay you.
They try to do that to fine artists and probably a lot of other people.
I recently got a bogus mail telling me I had to update my paypal account.
The link they gave superfically looked like paypal, but if you move the mouse over it,
you see it's from a completely different web server.
The only thing that really worries me is identity theft.
I heard you have to spend 600 hours fixing that if it happens.
I REALLY HATE the credit card companies and how they easily let
criminals get credit cards using other people's info. I think you should
have to show up somewhere in person and be fingerprinted and other stuff
before you can get a credit card.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
jdr8271 said:
Shipping in africa (or anywhere in the world) is ok as you get payment first. Paypal, money order, or as going postal suggests, Gold Coins ;) . As long as you can have the cash in your bank account before you ship the item.
Not quite. Gold Coins or Money Order maybe; Paypal or Credit Card, not a chance. They'll use a stolen credit card and the charges will be reversed 2 months down the line.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I kinda like what you were saying; tell me he'll have to pick it up somewhere far away from his location, that you trust him to send a money order after he gets your shirts, etc. Pull stupid stuff like they do to you :p

·
Registered
324 Posts
I also keep getting emails from a woman claiming to be in Nigeria and wanting to buy 150 t-shirts with a credit card. Well, I'm not stupid. But it is weird that she / they go to so much trouple - visited my eBay store and got the EXACT wording of my auctions, but claims not to be able to buy through the store... I wouldn't touch that sale with a stick.
But I do take offense about Twinge saying that shipping anywhere in Africa is risky - I'm South African (relocated to the States 10 years ago) and I wouldn't call it risky to ship to South Africa. It is just as risky as shipping anywhere in the States. Just needed to stand up for Africa! :D
Michelle

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
mothertongues said:
But I do take offense about Twinge saying that shipping anywhere in Africa is risky - I'm South African (relocated to the States 10 years ago) and I wouldn't call it risky to ship to South Africa. It is just as risky as shipping anywhere in the States. Just needed to stand up for Africa! :D
Hah, I did almost drop an exception for South Africa in my post, but didn't. I was basically just saying that it isn't always Nigeria; there are other African countries that numerous scams like that are based out of as well.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Anyone got any other ideas of what to do to them?
My best advice is not to reply at all.

From experience, even a negative reply only encourages a larger volume of emails (like you're put on some "potential sucker" list).

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yes I know you are right about numerous African countries with scams going on, but since I still carry a South African passport I just wanted to come up for one little country :) .
Never thought about it probably being a man. Did think it was weird (and obvious?) that it was a Hispanic name, definitely NOT African, claiming to be from Nigeria?

Michelle

·
Registered
69 Posts
This scam is the the third largest revenue maker for the country of Nigeria. I belive it is called the 419 scam?

I got one where they wanted a million and a half t-shirts. But, the deal would only work if I came there and signed the papers (yea right). Another way they make money is by asking for your bank details to send the money too and then draining your account.

Go to http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/ for more info. Some people spend days just toying with these guys and post the emails, its actually quite funny.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts