T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently printing shirts using a Epson R1800 printer and a commercial heat press. To be honest, I'm very unhappy with the product and have stopped selling shirts until I can find a better way to print them.

The hard/iron-on feel of these prints just doesn't work for me. The shirts also don't hold up to washing like a screen printing. I understand that I'm just not going to get screen quality using heat transfer technologies.

My question, what thermal transfer options exist that are the highest quality. I'll be printing to all colors of shirts from light to dark.

I'm open to sending my designs out to be pre-printed on a material that I can thermal transfer onto cotton t-shirts/hoodies but it can't have that iron-on feel or I'm not going to bother with it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Joey

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Hey FD, why not go the plastisol route. As for as the transfers go what type of transfers are you using? I am going to do 300 shirts and hood for a school with plastisol and I have done testing thayt proves it is as good if not better than screenprinting. better because I don't do the work other than pressing. Lou

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did some reading.. of course I'm spoiled printing photo quality prints with a printer to transfer paper (other then not being happy with the 'transfer paper' feel). Most of the stuff I print is very high detail as far as colors go. One website I checked out does 4 color permasol prints. Is this as good as it gets for a reasonable price? Anyone doing 6 color prints? How fine of detail are you getting out of permasol prints?

take some digital pics of shirts you've done.. i'd like to see them.

thanks

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Dye sub will also give you full colour, no stiffness prints with a heat press (on the minus side you have to use polyester garments, on the plus side polyester technology has come a long way).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Using Dye Sub you can't get a soft feel for dark shirts. You will have the same problem as with inkjet printing. You will have to print to Opaque paper and then press it.
I'm not familiar with Permasol but when you start talking about 6 colors using either direct screen printing or heat transfers, they will be expensive unless your doing large quantities (100's). Neither of these will leave a "Hand" (stiffness) on the shirt. You will NOT be able to get high quality and low price for the number of colors your wanting to do.
God Bless You
Don

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Dye sublimation printing.....detailed designs, bright colors, only the dye transfers not the paper, no hand at all, great washability. Downsides....at least 65/35 polyester blanks, the Hanes dye sub shirts or the new vapor apparel fabrics which are more expensive than 100% cotton. Forget about doing black shirts at this time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don: I'd be willing to pay up to $2.00 - $2.50 a transfer (and buy at least 100 at a time of each print design). I'm not sure that I need 6 color, but I haven't found a decent color seperation plug-in for photoshop to play around with my images and see how they come out.

Others/Dye Sub: I'm not really interested in printing lighter color shirts. Most of my custom art should be printed on darker shirts. The poly/cotton blend option isn't bad and I can get a dye sub kit for my R1800 but I don't want to limit myself to just lighter color shirts.

I've been told I need to do process-color screenprinting (airwaves printing does this). Anyone use these guys for anything? Quick turn around?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Single color (white) for dark shirts will run you about .75 ea for 100 qty. add about .50 to .75 per sheet for each additional color. This is for screen printed plastisol transfers. Smaller qtys. will cost more per transfer. Kept in a fridge, they will be good for years. Check out Ace & I have heard good about Dowling too.
God Bless You
Don

·
Registered
7 Posts
hmm... anyone know if it possible to do a type of "mixed media" pieces and do plastisol OVER normal heat transfer? that could produce some sick *** outcomes and looks????

just wondering, cause I'd be willing to get like some solid, one color logos on plastisol that i could customize backgrounds, surroundings, accents of, with transfer paper.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts