T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to learn these 2 pieces of software and I would like some input. How did the mojority of you learn this software? Should I learn on my own or would it be faster to learn by taking a class? I know I need to practice and thats the main thing but which way is the quickest to learn the basics? Does anyone also have any books or tutorials they would like to recommend?

·
Registered
63 Posts
For photoshop, I just worked through the tutorial that came with it.
For Illustrator, I worked through a book called "illustrator in 24 hours" or something like that. You just have to read something basic and do the examples. I didn't bother trying to learn every itty bitty feature. That'd take forever. So don't pick a huge book. A classroom is unnecessary. Afterwards, if there's still something I need to know how to do, I go digging in help files, books, and web sites. I don't need to do that very often.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If I've said it once on here I've said it a hundred... ADOBE CLASSROOM IN A BOOK!!!!!!!!! They come in beginner, intermediate and advanced. These are what I was sat down with in front of a computer in my college labs. These are also what Adobe Certified people are required to complete. It's easy, comprehensive and will really help you build a thorough understanding of the programs. All due respect Quickness... the notion of learning Illustrator in 24 hours is hilarious. I've been at it for 10 years and learn something new every day about the program.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
I think I may need to check out that Adobe Classroom in a Book. I have photoshop, but I don't feel like I have a good enough grasp to use it comfortably.

·
Registered
382 Posts
By far the best books in my opinion are the H.O.T. (hands on training) series by lynda.com. Adobe classroom in a book are ok, but the lynda series teached you more with a real world project based approach and you'll probably get more for your money as the adobe books are pretty expensive coming direct from the creator of the software.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went to school for design and learned just technical stuff. I learned by just playing around. I always say I'm self taught even though I went to art school, because school didn't teach me what i know now. I buy magazines, which I think is cheaper than a class. A good class at a community college will due, but you could learn it yourself. I'm teaching myself to be a better painter. I rent videos from the library. Go to the library check out a books. Also I use to have a membership lynda.com. I felt the tutorials were forever and I didn't use it. It may work for you.
here are some links.
www.good-tutorials.com
http://www.computerarts.co.uk/ (this is great to learn technique)
http://maclab.guhsd.net/photoshop/intro.html (they have videos in this, but no sound)
Cheers
Viviana

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yeah books are good to have, but you won't get proficient until you just dive in. I usually start with a book then go off on my own.

The designers I've met that are self taught usually don't know a lot of the functions below the surface of the programs...and usually end up doing things the hard way.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
identityburn said:
The designers I've met that are self taught usually don't know a lot of the functions below the surface of the programs...and usually end up doing things the hard way.
I'd definitely agree with that.

Speaking for myself, I've been taking a class lately... everything I was taught to do in Photoshop I could already do (or get the same result that is), but I've finally learnt the correct way to do some things I'd been doing rather backwardly. Some tasks went from an hour plus to a few minutes - you don't seek out the tools if you think you know how to do something, but there's often a better way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would take a basic class, or check out a "photoshop/illustrator for dummys" - a more beginners handbook for starters.. and you can figure out the rest on your own. Once you get the hang of either software it gets easier...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hiya.. im a graphic designer so here are my two tips...

1. Photoshop TV Podcasts (available via itunes) (www.photoshoptv.com)
2. Magazines, photoshop user, advanced photoshop, layers magazine.. etc etc!

A class would be ideal though :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts