T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Among SO many other questions: I'm wondering how to get a distressed pattern onto a shirt, it seems like the emulsion is all or nothing. I've heard that halftoning the image works, but this is not really the result i want. I'm trying to get some parts of the images to just be lighter than other's or cut out all together. Right now either ink goes through, or nothing comes out at all and i get big gaps in the design. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Danny

·
Registered
274 Posts
you can try physically manupulating the printed vellum- do you print your own on an ink jet? then after you scratch them/fade/etc, you can burn the screen.

just an idea...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya we use transparencies with an ink jet printer. We physically have the images distressed on the image on the computer. When we try and burn in the image to the emulsion it does not come out decent. Either comes out completely or not at all. I have tried adjusting the burn in time also and nothing so far.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Have you tried these sort of filters? it won't give you a "half ink" look, but they do make excellent distressed imaged (maybe these first part of the process, with a physical print technique as well).

http://www.misterretro.com/image_filters.html

(incidentally, those filters are well worth the price.....mmmmm...excellent)

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I have recomended Machine Wash in the past but I think you can find free textures and distortions without paying for that product. Google up free photoshop or AI filters or textures and you should find something to use. Machine Wash isnt really a filter...it just overlays a transperant jpeg of a texture on your image in a layer. You can achieve this without paying for this program.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I printed a distressed shirt with the aid of a crappy old screen riddled with blockages... good for that natural look ;) (and a reason to consider keeping the occasional lot of past it screens)

·
Premium Member
4,202 Posts
Fluid said:
Richard got it right. Go to this link and look under miscellaneous then distressed look overlays.

I use FreeHand but vector based programs should be similar in how to do it.

I create whatever design I want, then place one of these images over top of my design. The images are black with a white background. It my program, I simply select the image, change the fill color to white and make the background transparent. Now I have a distressed look and all I have to do is print out to film.

There should be simple instructions on how to do it in your program of choice. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
The poster said they've already distressed the image, so unless the filters can do a better job than he's already done (possible, but unknown) they're not going to help. The problem is at the exposure level I guess, which is probably ultimately artwork related, so maybe the issue is not having the right filters after all :)

·
Premium Member
4,202 Posts
Solmu said:
The poster said they've already distressed the image, so unless the filters can do a better job than he's already done (possible, but unknown) they're not going to help. The problem is at the exposure level I guess, which is probably ultimately artwork related, so maybe the issue is not having the right filters after all :)
Oops, I didn't see his second post, I read it but did not associate it with him.

It does sound like you have to get your time settings correctly. You may want to use a little higher mesh screen as well so not as much ink passes through, that'll get you more of a faded look.

Your emulsion should have time settings for what type of lighting you have. If you haven't done a step wedge test, then I would suggest doing that to get the proper time settings. If you don't know what a step wedge test is, you can contact your supplier and they have them available to purchase, or if you are like most people, you can make your own. Roger Jennings has some videos on youtube and one of them is regarding an exposure unit. I believe he explains step wedges in there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9NrndxeCJ4

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the great replies. Basically what we have done is put brushes over the design but as i look more into compared to the suggestions from the filters that you recommended our filter is not making a clear cut in the image so when it transfers to the emulsion it comes messed up. I will try some of these filters on screenprinters and see how they work out and let you know! Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts