T-Shirt Forums banner

Best transfer paper of light and dark t-shirts?

96K views 56 replies 21 participants last post by  rctshirt 
#1 ·
Hi all, I'm new here, I tried lots of transfer paper available where I live but none of them gave me the desired look and durability. so I read many articles talking about this topic in this forum, and i figured out that the best transfer paper is JPSS for light fabrics. so i decided to buy it online but I'm little bit confused where could I buy the original papers, because I read that there is another transfer paper carry the same name! so could you help me with some links (ebay.com, amazon.com...) for the original papers?

and regarding the transfer papers for the dark fabric, what is the best transfer for them?

I'm using brother printer with dye-sublimation ink by the way.
thanks in advance,
Ahmad

#2 ·
Sublimation ink is for sublimation and sublimation paper and 100% polyester only. If you are going to use JPSS paper, you need to switch over to pigment ink. Epson printers are the best for heat transfers because of the way the print heads deposit ink. You can get the JPSS from conde, bestblanks, and several other vendors listed on the left of this screen.

As for printing on dark fabrics is concerned I haven't tried it yet with heat transfers. It is a 2 step process that needs cutting or trimming and from what I understand the end results aren't that impressive because the white background paper is usually pretty thick.

#20 ·
Agree, and IT DOES NOT CRACK like all the other single step papers do.

However, the paper seems to be getting scarce, it also goes under other names, "Inkflex Dark" and "Super Stretchy" but I can't find it anymore. Ses Graphics had the "Inkflex Dark" for a long time but since January they had a "backorder" message on the web page then in May they took down the product. I called the paper manufacturer (IYA technologies) and asked their sales people where I could get the paper or if they still made it. They promised to get back to me but has been 3 weeks ago.

IYATECH TECHNOLOGIES

Does your supplier have the "Iron all for darks" still in stock?

thx

#8 ·
Hi all, I'm new here, I tried lots of transfer paper available where I live but none of them gave me the desired look and durability. so I read many articles talking about this topic in this forum, and i figured out that the best transfer paper is JPSS for light fabrics. so i decided to buy it online but I'm little bit confused where could I buy the original papers, because I read that there is another transfer paper carry the same name! so could you help me with some links (ebay.com, amazon.com...) for the original papers?

and regarding the transfer papers for the dark fabric, what is the best transfer for them?

I'm using brother printer with dye-sublimation ink by the way.
thanks in advance,
Ahmad
JPSS, using pigment inks (not sublimated), does need to be weeded manually or by a cutter/plotter

#9 ·
The problem now is that where I live they dont sell Epson printers any more, only available cannon, Xerox, and HP. so can you suggest me a printer to use pigment ink? or can I just remove the sublimation ink from my Brother printer and replace it with pigment ink in a new cartridge?!

#10 ·
Other than high end wide format HP printers, the only ones I know of that use pigment for all colors are the Officejet 8X00 series, that take the 940/940XL cartridges. Their colors are so rich and vibrant, however (for a 4-color pigment, anyway) I kind of wonder whether it's 100% pigment or a pigment/dye hybrid ink. I've never tried making a transfer with it.

#12 ·
I use jpss for white shirts and I use 3g jet opaque for dark shirts. There is a white background for the dark colored transfer but there is ways around it such as cutting a box around the image, printing the white to be the same color as the shirt to blend in, or counter cutting around the whole image. I just do whatever works best for the image. Like everyone said they are a little thicker, but I am still making money with them as opposed to not even making black shirts. So they work for me.

#13 ·
I use jpss for white shirts and I use 3g jet opaque for dark shirts. There is a white background for the dark colored transfer but there is ways around it such as cutting a box around the image, printing the white to be the same color as the shirt to blend in, or counter cutting around the whole image. I just do whatever works best for the image. Like everyone said they are a little thicker, but I am still making money with them as opposed to not even making black shirts. So they work for me.
And try your best to cut off the unwanted areas leaving as little of the "blend-in" color as possible.

#16 ·
Its probably not hot enough. I press for the recommended time and temp of 350 for 30 seconds and havent had any problems. Before I used 3g jet opaques I sometimes had the corner that I would peel up that I was peeling the backing from, and to prevent it I would just press down it with my finger right before I peeled. Are you using parchment paper and a teflon sheet before you press?

#17 ·
Are you using parchment paper and a teflon sheet before you press?
Thanks for reply.

190C = 374F So much hotter than spec
I Just use parchment paper. Heat any moisture out of tshirt. Transfer on and press with parchment, simple as that. The corner lift seems to be a wide spread prob, even more so on the jet opaque, of which I have been able to rip clean off of Tshirt.

#22 ·
Hey all,

I finally got the sample pack from Alpha Supply Company, I tried first Alpha blue line for white t-shirts.

I printed the design using Hp inkjet printer, the colors were good and it gave a good texture, but unfortunately after washing it two days later, the colors were faded !!

So can anyone help me to figure out the problem, is the problem with the paper or inkjet or the washing procedures? although i washed it in the washing machine using cold water for a short period of time,,,,

#23 ·
Hey all,

I finally got the sample pack from Alpha Supply Company, I tried first Alpha blue line for white t-shirts.

I printed the design using Hp inkjet printer, the colors were good and it gave a good texture, but unfortunately after washing it two days later, the colors were faded !!

So can anyone help me to figure out the problem, is the problem with the paper or inkjet or the washing procedures? although i washed it in the washing machine using cold water for a short period of time,,,,
Most HP printers are dye based ink, that is the reason for the wash out. You need pigment inks to make wash durable transfers.

#26 ·
Actually only some Vivera inks are pigment (mainly those used in the pro printers), the majority are dyebased for use on their high gloss Premium Plus papers. This is an issue in printers that have a pigment black tank if you don't swap it for the "photo black" cartridge, as you will have very strange results in photographs where black mixes with colors. It works great for graphic printing though, bright colors and sharp black outlines.

The only consumer level HP printer I'm aware of that is full pigment is the 4-color Officejet 8X00 series (940/940XL carts). The wide format 7X00 series (920/920XL) carts are dye with pigment black.

This is why most people here use Epsons, since the Workforce 1100/7010 are natively pigment and others like the 1400/1430 can use pigment ink even though they're not designed for it.

#31 ·
Any update on the availability of this paper? It is by far the best- I have been using it for several years, even on stretchy ribknit baby clothing. I'll lose half my business if I can't find a replacement that works as well and is also CPSIA compliant.

Hmmm, maybe you hit on something, maybe the Iron-all for darks/Ink flex darks paper is having trouble meeting CPSIA compliant standards? Just speculating, but the paper has not actually been manufacturered now in a year. Other things may be the issue, but seems if you have the best dark transfer paper in the world you would keep supplying it.

I will call IYA this week.

#32 ·
Right now you cannot find any Iron-All Dark as the manufacturer hasn't made any for about a year. Supposedly we will be getting some in a couple of weeks, we'll see. I would recommend the Jet-Opaque II by Neenah (JetWear Dark) for color retention. If you want less hand, a thinner opaque layer, then go with the 3-G Opaque by Neenah. The opaque layer is a bit thinner than their original but it doesn't retain the color quite as well but it's still good.

#38 ·
I am having trouble printing photos on to transfer paper, both the dark and white - the colours are not coming out as they should and do on a normal printer paper.:confused:

I have an Epson printer with CISS ink system installed but I presume it uses the same kind of ink as the original cartridges. Any ideas? I have several request for putting customers' own photos on t-shirts and I've wasted several sheets of expensive paper already.:mad:

#48 ·
But your telling me plain paper is OK just not transfer paper, but I see purple in everything you have shown me including plain paper.

Do a nozzle check, or print the color file matching your number of colors in your printer from the file link below.

Print the appropriate CMYK color file

http://www.inksupply.com/zip/purge.zip

Paper doesn't cause you to be this much inaccurate in color.

If you dog is printing purple but should be gray, and you are not doing something to cause that in your image editor, then you are likely missing a color, like yellow for example.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.