T-Shirt Forums banner

Best technique for burlap

7K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  lenie2013 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for the best paper or method to print to burlap? I'm looking for bold, crisp prints, at least 11x14 in size. My large format printer doesn't print very well onto burlap. Plus, it's probably not cost effective with the wear and tear the burlap has on the printer. ;)

#2 ·
You talking about sublimation?

I'm not sure burlap is suitable for sublimation but there is faux burlap that's made of 100% Polyester. Kinda looks like the real thing. Any regular dyesub transfer paper would work for that.

If it's real burlap, I'd go with JPSS Heat Transfers or HTV.

Screenprint can be a pain since burlap isn't a tightly woven material but there are tricks that can get a decent print on it.

#3 ·
Oh right - well, I use a heavyweight tightly woven burlap because I make prints with fine lines and text.

Not sure HTV would work, I need something self weeding and need the burlap to "absorb" the ink instead of sit on top. I'm afraid JPSS would leave a film surrounding my print.

#7 · (Edited)
That can be easily done with something called
Soft Hand Eco Solvent Sublimation

First you print with sublimation ink on Teflon Transfer paper. Or some compatible inkjet transfer paper that ink on it does not dry fast

Second you pure over print some special powder that is called Soft Hand Developer. Just let you to stick it on the sublimation ink

And third you soak slightly a fabrics with special Fixative in spray

Then you put your image over on wet and bake in thermo press for 30 sec two time at 180 – 200 dg C.

And what happens?
Fixative evaporate. Disolves Developer. That forms some kind of plasma that impregnate burlap fibers and sublimation ink sublimate in these impregnate fibers. Same way as you would print on some ECO Solvent DTG printer. But THIS is much cheaper investment. Simply A + B +C+ D for 50 - 80 USD for set

A = sublimation ink. Extrem Sublimation ink is recomened for this dark fabrics.
B = TT paper
C = Developer in powder
D = Eco Fixativ ( Solvent) that can disolve that powder

#8 ·
That can be easily done with something called
Soft Hand Eco Solvent Sublimation

First you print with sublimation ink on Teflon Transfer paper. Or some compatible inkjet transfer paper that ink on it does not dry fast

Second you pure over print some special powder that is called Sot Hand Developer. Just let you to stick it on the sublimation ink

And third you soak slightly a fabrics with special Fixative in splay

Then you put your image over on wet and bake in thermo press for 30 sec two time at 180 – 200 dg C.

And what happens? Fixative explevaporate. Disolves Developer. That forms some kind of plasma that impregnate burlap fibers and sublimation ink sublimate in these impregnate fibers. Same waY as you would print on some ECO Solvent DTG printer. But THIS is much cheaper investment. Simply A + B +C+ D for 50 - 80 USD for set
A = sublimation ink. Extrem Sublimation ink is recomened for this dark fabrics.
B = TT paper
C = Developer in powder
D = Eco Fixativ ( Solvent) that can disolve that powder
Wow, neat idea! Thanks a lot, I'll try this for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.