T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
What do Forum members think the best Brand is for excellent T-Shirt Graphics.
I'm posting this from the UK and was wondering if Forum members had to go
out and buy a Hi Fashion Graphic T-Shirt where would they first go to, online or the local shopping mall? Many of the leading Surf Brands have always done excellent graphics, what are emerging trends?
Your feedback would be most appreciated
Paul

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Re: Best Tgraphics

Your going to get different answers to this question. I use Gildan 6.1 100%cotton tees. I also use Port & Company 6.1. But mostly Gildan. I don't know if there is a tee shirt designed specifically for tee shirt graphics. I think a cotton tee is the primary but you can buy them in different styles, colors and weights. Lou

·
Registered
3,800 Posts

Tgraphics said:
Hi,
What do Forum members think the best Brand is for excellent T-Shirt Graphics.

Paul
Its a matter of opinion as my man Lou pointed out.

Also, remember that designing for t-shirts is different then designing posters, all peeps are shaped different, so a graphic that may look good on me " Hi Fashion Model " Bwahahaha :) , may not look good on girls with not so perfect upper arms.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Hi,
Thanks for the feedback. If you were asked what company does the best graphics for T-shirts what would be your favourites?
Paul

·
Registered
98 Posts

the best graphics in my opinion right now are the surfer/skateboards brands like quiksilver, rip curl, reef. though i dont surf myself...can bearly swim as it is:) they do seem to be leading the pack with the new trend towards complex, messy, of-centre prints. i also like the graphics of armani exchange

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
If you were asked what company does the best graphics for T-shirts what would be your favourites?
I don't think it would be a company, I'd probably just notice a few different independent designers. There are lots of people that can make great t-shirt graphics.

Why do you ask?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Guys,
Thanks for your feedback. Why am I asking? I looking to produce a range of shirts for Fashion retailers/wholesalers for spring 2007. I agree with double6ix
the surf skate brands seem to lead the way.
Paul

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again I found them on this site it had some good examples
http://www.surfing-waves.com
Seems like the surf brands lead the way and the traditional fashion brands are losing the T-shirt wars! saying that the surfing brands have been leading the way since the late 60's so it's not suprising.

·
Registered
192 Posts
It's a very subjective topic, but I think if you want to find the best designers period, you might want to look outside the t-shirt industry. Some of the folks doing design for fashion mags, DVD work, film concepting, etc., are probably the best around. They just don't happen to design t-shirts. However, if you got hold of one...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Christopher,
Yes you are totally correct, what work do you admire? Some graphic artists work transfers better to garments than others. If you were asked which designers work would you like to see on garments who would it be?
Paul

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm not sure if it's a question of which specific work I admire, but who has the skill? Some of the really hotshot designers out there (non t-shirt) are doing stuff that I might not necessarily like, but they are so good and so well educated that they can dazzle in any particular style if so directed by a client. The downside is that they are hideously expensive.

I bet a few of those types show up on Threadless every once in a while for kicks, but the majority of Threadless designers are probably pretty limited in their capabilities.

If I had an unlimited budget plus the necessary contacts, I'd go for some of the guys who've done concept design on the Pixar films, some of the Disney animated features, the senior designers at places like Razorfish, the same at big ad agencies like Leo Burnett, the same at the big game developers like EA, Blizzard, etc., maybe some of the Marvel designers...and Phil Foglio.

But I'm dreaming.

·
Registered
234 Posts
honeyflip said:
I'm not sure if it's a question of which specific work I admire, but who has the skill? Some of the really hotshot designers out there (non t-shirt) are doing stuff that I might not necessarily like, but they are so good and so well educated that they can dazzle in any particular style if so directed by a client. The downside is that they are hideously expensive.

I bet a few of those types show up on Threadless every once in a while for kicks, but the majority of Threadless designers are probably pretty limited in their capabilities.

If I had an unlimited budget plus the necessary contacts, I'd go for some of the guys who've done concept design on the Pixar films, some of the Disney animated features, the senior designers at places like Razorfish, the same at big ad agencies like Leo Burnett, the same at the big game developers like EA, Blizzard, etc., maybe some of the Marvel designers...and Phil Foglio.

But I'm dreaming.

I don't agree with what you say on the Threadless designers. They are 'limited in their capabilities' because Threadless has some strict rules about the designs that they accept. For example you can not use more than 4 unique colors in your design and for some of us that's hard to accept.

In my opinion you can find unique designs on Threadless... that's why they make a lot of money.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You're right. There are some good, unique designs on Threadless. I think what I was more attempting to say was that there's a different caliber of designer out there as compared to the typical ones on Threadless. Sadly for us, those folks probably never design t-shirts. I'd love to see what the senior concept designer from The Incredibles would come up with for a t-shirt, or howabout some of the designers at WETA?

·
Registered
120 Posts
We're talking about totally different conceptions of art. Corporate commercial artists aren't trying to do funky, hip, artistic art. Likewise hip, funky people aren't looking to do slick commercial stuff.

I wouldn't underestimate or OVERESTIMATE the people on either end. In the end, I think it has more to do with the tastes, interests and goals of the artist.

For me, stuff like the "Invincibles" or something is totally slick and bloodless, and doesn't interest me in the least. Someone who likes that sort of thing, however, may think that urban "artsy" stuff is sloppy or just plain weird.

Apples and oranges and different stokes;)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Nicolai,
What companies or individuals do in your mind produce the best graphics that
are applied to T-Shirts?

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
m26gil said:
I don't agree with what you say on the Threadless designers. They are 'limited in their capabilities' because Threadless has some strict rules about the designs that they accept. For example you can not use more than 4 unique colors in your design and for some of us that's hard to accept.
The point is that the truly great designers of this world, the names who will be remembered decades from now, can work within that to create something brilliant. Give them a design brief, and they'll give you brilliance. The four colour limit is hard to work with, but on the other hand you don't actually need anything more.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Tgraphics said:
Seems like the surf brands lead the way and the traditional fashion brands are losing the T-shirt wars!
Yeah, right. While the surf brands pump out the same old crap they've been doing since the seventies, I'm seeing much more interesting things coming from fashion designers who more traditionally wouldn't have touched things like t-shirts. The fact is it's extremely subjective... not just a little bit subjective ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts