T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
i am new to screen printing and have been enjoying it very much. Ive been researching a lot, planning to start a brand very soon, but would really appreciate your direct input on this. I have most of the necessary equipment, and would like to maximize my quality. I have just been testing out my equipment getting everything figured out. I am printing on a basic 4 screen 1 pallet press, doing 1,2, and 3 color designs. Ive been using green galaxy water based ink along with the low cure additive. I have a heat gun and a ir contactless thermometer i use to cure, but i plan to start printing shirts at a higher rate, and would like a more efficient/easy way to cure each shirt. My current price range is around $200, give or take a little. I know the best option would be an ir flash dryer, or a conveyor dryer, but thats currently out my price range. So, my question is, will a inexpensive generic 18x18 or 18x24 flash dryer from ebay be sufficient to curing this ink well enough? is there a better option for me like a heat press or something? or should i just hold off and cure this first run of 100 or so shirts with a heat gun (don't really want to do).
Thank you for any responses. Have a good day.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
My first prints where discharge and I cured with a heat gun. That works okay since you can actually see discharge ink cure. I now print with regular water base inks and cure with a heat press. Without the visible cue of curing discharge ink, I can't imagine using a heat to cure ... far too easy to scorch or under cure. You probably need to double your budget.

·
Registered
26 Posts
One of the greatest advantages of screen printing business is its ability to grow along with your production needs. Start out with what you have, it is sufficient to begin growing your trade. As your orders begin to increase and you start spending a lot of time waiting for your equipment to finish curing the last garment you printed, go for a conveyor dryer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.