T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched ....honestly:D... but I was just hoping someone can give me the latest information.
I am interested in screen printing some vintage designs onto t-shirts... I have gone through the Research phase, but I am stuck on deciding which brands to order and from where.

If someone can just throw out some names of good companies and brands of ink, screens, emulsion..etc...

I want to do designs, with many details, similair to Express.com shirts, is that considered vintage? or just graphic? anyways... please help. thanks

·
Registered
935 Posts
What kind of equipment do you have? And are you interested in plastisol, which is plastic based ink, or waterbased ink? Answers to those questions will really let us give you advice on ink brands, types of emulsion, etc. I could give a lot of advice on waterbased inks if I knew what equipment you have, your setup, your desires, etc, as well as recommend a couple of emulsions.

As for screens, there are different types. Go with aluminum. I have been ordering aluminum 20"x24" screens from ryanrss.com. If you don't know much about the various uses of different mesh counts, read this: vacord.com/blog/?p=33
Give us details and we'll give you details in return.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks brent, that's a good link... to be honest with you my friend and I have been checking out many sites, including dobizo and youtube for screen printing ideas and we are still indecisive. We were going to build a printer and a fluorecent light box for starters like they did on a youtube video we saw, unfortunately that may limit us to one color only, unless we manage to build a more complex printer (not likely though.)

We want to make graphic tees that are not shiny and have sort of a vintage look, so I read that waterbased ink may suit us better, and is actually an easier process, true? we've spend the past month reading forums, blogs, books, and just brainstorming ideas. My friend wants us to print the first batch of tees to "test the waters" (which is obviously smart) but I still want to check out prices for sending out our own t-shirts to get printed.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I recommend Matsui ink, but you need a proper way to cure the shirts. Neato here on the forums is trying out Aqua Pura which is supposed to air dry, and he likes it so far, so you wouldn't need a fancy way to cure the shirts.

Building a simple press isn't bad because you should start with just 1color prints anyway, in my opinion.
Ulano makes a variety of good emulsions. I have started using Murakami emulsion recently and like it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks brent, is there a difference between curing it with heat or airdry? i'm pretty sure we wouldn't mind building the light box if it means the design will show better.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Mr V, what are you asking? Do you want options of what worked for us or what? Different prints need different screen mesh and emulsion. It takes time to learn this, that's why the screen printer charges what they do. Find a good printer and stick with them, price is a small part of building a clothing line.
My opinion, John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea I'm looking for opinions, because since there are so many options I wanted to eliminate the ones that people weren't satisfied with. We are still pricing printing companies, but since we don't want to invest too much for our prototypes we figured we should give it a shot and print some ourselves.

Once I get some good referrals I can price check them and then compare them to Printing ourselves or sending them out. I am aware that we may need to use trial-and-error like many other people, but I was hoping I would have the upper hand over those who don't use forums.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Screen printing can be difficult and takes a while to learn and become proficient.

If you want to just start a t-shirt line, find a good screen printer to send your work to.
If you want to learn screen printing, get some supplies and equipment.

Also, a light box doesn't cure or dry shirts, it burns screens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts