T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Chris said:
Very true, however you pay a price for questionable quality, absolutely no brand recognition (Cafepress, not sure about Spreadshirt) and you show no equity stake in your product.

The first thing I used to do when I found a great shirt on CP was to make a copy of it and sell it to myself. Did anyone ever know? Nope, and it only takes me 10~ minutes to whip something similar up.

Could someone do this for my products? Sure, but they're limited in color and quality. They can't make the same thing that they see on my website for cheaper. This business is already so ridiculously cheap to enter that I'm baffled why so many decide to take the super short route.
Hi Chris:
Are you saying then that you are printing your shirts yourself, or do you have someone doing it. Im asking 'cause Im in LA too, and trying to find the best avenue of getting my designs printed on a budget. Is it at all possible to find a vendor who can do low volume at good quality, screening, heat press or otherwise?

Thanks
Ryan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Chris-
Sounds like a real good plan. Thanks for the link. I wish I had the space to give DIY screen printing a try, but I live in a condo with no garage.:(. Im looking into buying a heat press as an option and seeing what that is all about. Heat Press sounds easier and more flexible for doing quick runs than screen printing, and supposedly the quality of heat press these days is getting closer to comparable (or so they say). I dont know, I want an end product that is real professional vintage T that could be sold in retail. I wonder if heat pressing would accomodate.

In nothing else maybe its a good place to start building momentum and litmus testing designs. I originally planned to use CafePress to do that, but after spending a day uploading designs, building my premium shop and reading their forums, CP sounds like an uphill battle that isnt worth the effort. Especially in light of their tiny profit margins.

-RR

·
Registered
9 Posts
You nailed it brutha. It dawned on me pretty quickly that I would never be able to recoup marketing costs on CafePress' slim margins. I wish I had a piece of that business. Not to mention - as you said - what's to stop someone from just copping an idea and then selling it to themselves or others at discount? Even if I had the dough to copyright all 60 of my designs, could I really take legal action? I guess there's really no way to stop that though

RR

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.