T-Shirt Forums banner

Best method of separating

1K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  teezecrost 
#1 ·
Hey, everyone - somebody is asking me for a quick run of shirts, and I'm not sure what the best method is for the art they've provided. It's almost all gradients.

It's a JPG, but it's pretty high-res. Is it better for me to vectorize it, or get out the magic wand in photoshop? index/halftones?

Thanks for any input!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
from the sample you've shown i'd suggest halftones for that design, not index (halftones produce much better gradients).

I wouldn't vectorize it if the resolution is at least 300dpi at the print size. even tho there maybe some jpg artifacts i don't think it will show up much or could be easily adjusted. If it's just black and purple then it should be fairly easy to separate in photoshop.

after looking at the graphic again, i'd recommend contacting the client and asking if they have the original file, it could have been created as a vector or they may have a photoshop file, better to work with then a .jpg

#4 ·
ya the angles still matter, any time your using halftone dots you want to avoid moiree so using an angle around 22degrees is a good idea. use the same angle for each color as you will idealy want each dot to fall into the negative space of the other color.

For 2 color jobs i often prefer to do my halftones in photoshop. I do this so i can punch out the halftone dots of the top color from the color underneath so my dots are exact.

my recommendation when doing this separation (no RIP needed for this)., focus on creating the black channel, make a new document to work from and create the bitmap halftone, convert back to grayscale so you can copy the channel back to your original working file. You can make the purple channel simply by convert it to grayscale, adjust levels so your solid purple area becomes 100% black (make a copy of the document to work on). Convert to bitmap and create your halftones, then convert back to grayscale. Now you copy this channel back to your original document and punch the black channel out of the purple.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.