T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm going to start a cafepress store, more for a hobby, then anything else, really, but I don't have any design software, other then a simple photo editor, that is just good with redeye. I don't want to spend a crazy amount of money, $150 is my limit. I was thinking about photoshop premiere elements 2, and elements 4 to start, sense I've been reading photoshop is the "industry norm". Is this OK? Is there something better/more user friendly. I will upgrade as I grow, and get better at it, but this will not be my day job, and with zero inventory, zero overhead, its perfect for me.

The work I'll be doing is just quotes, and minor graphics.

Thanks!
John

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
You might look at free software such as The Gimp first, and see if that will work for what you need.

Otherwise, a lot of people like Corel and I believe that generally runs a fair bit cheaper than Photoshop. You can also check eBay and such as well - though then you're running the risk of buying a bootleg copy.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Twinge said:
You might look at free software such as The Gimp first, and see if that will work for what you need.
Exactly what I was going to suggest :)

If you're starting a zero overhead hobby with a $150 software budget, you might as well try free software first. If that works, you might try experimenting with the $150 on advertising.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
As you said, it's not expensive. Personally I think it's worth it.

The other advantage of it is that if you do eventually decide to expand beyond CP (you never know what will happen) then all the old links pointing at your domain will still be valid for your new site.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I also had another question that perhaps I should start a new thread for, but can anybody tell me about copyrights. Most of my shirts I'm thinking of, I've heard on TV, I've seen at the local t-shop, online here or there. I'm not copying the design at all, just using the 'catch phrase' is this legal? I don't want to get in trouble with copyrights.

Thanks!
John

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
JerseyTropics said:
Thanks! I also had another question that perhaps I should start a new thread for, but can anybody tell me about copyrights. Most of my shirts I'm thinking of, I've heard on TV, I've seen at the local t-shop, online here or there. I'm not copying the design at all, just using the 'catch phrase' is this legal? I don't want to get in trouble with copyrights.

Thanks!
John
well, if you need to ask then I would say don't do it. :D

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
JerseyTropics said:
Some are obviously not copywrighted, like "Dork" .
Funny you said that " Dork ". If I saw a shirt that read that ( "Dork" ), i would think it was a "DORKS" shirt. http://www.dorkarmy.com/allies.php

so, peeps that are into gaming and so on, may know the Dorks too. So in fact you would be promoting the Dorks, to a certain extent.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Twinge said:

Otherwise, a lot of people like Corel and I believe that generally runs a fair bit cheaper than Photoshop. You can also check eBay and such as well - though then you're running the risk of buying a bootleg copy.
Hi guys,

The Gimp software mentioned here - does it give you vector files?

Thanks

·
Registered
399 Posts
What about Photoshop Element CS2?

It has 99% of the functionality of the standard Photoshop. I'm not sure if you can do vectors though (check Illustrator out for that).

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Annushka said:
The Gimp software mentioned here - does it give you vector files?
Nope. There are some free vector programs though (Wikipedia of all places lists some of them here)

·
Registered
182 Posts
What about http://www.inkscape.org/

It has a nice tracing ability that works fairly well and :D FREE:D
So use the $150 on some cliparts or whatevers

Inkscape is an Open Source vector graphics editor, with capabilities similar to Illustrator, Freehand, CorelDraw, or Xara X using the W3C standard Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) file format. Supported SVG features include shapes, paths, text, markers, clones, alpha blending, transforms, gradients, patterns, and grouping. Inkscape also supports Creative Commons meta-data, node editing, layers, complex path operations, bitmap tracing, text-on-path, flowed text, direct XML editing, and more. It imports formats such as JPEG, PNG, TIFF, and others and exports PNG as well as multiple vector-based formats.

Inkscape's main goal is to create a powerful and convenient drawing tool fully compliant with XML, SVG, and CSS standards. We also aim to maintain a thriving user and developer community by using open, community-oriented development

-Ugly

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Annushka said:
Do you have experience with any of the programs listed in your link?
No, the only vector drawing program I have used is Illustrator. You could try googling for reviews of the products with the best looking feature set, or even just google to see how many times the name comes up (a higher quantity may mean the product is getting more use, though it may not be indicative of anything).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts