T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, it's time for me to ask my newbie question of the day. :D I am trying to determine the best inkjet printers to use in making transfers and there are so many out there, I was hoping to get some first hand advice from some of you out there that have learned through trial and error.

I noticed that alot of members are using C88+ and C1200's with Durabrite inks, I was curious if anyone has any suggestions on comparable units, or are these the industry standards? And is Epson basically the best choice for this line of work? Also, I know the type of ink used (pigment) is crucial, is the printer itself as important to providing a quality transfer, or just a means to an end?

Thanks guys! :)

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
You will want Pigment ink as you state...there is a new Epson C120 that prints much faster than the C88+ which is being phased out..some big box stores have it on sale for under $80. It does have 5 carts..2 black 1 each cyan, magenta and yellow

not sure what other printers have pigment ink. I have heard that there is a HP printer that you can get pigment ink...but not sure of the model..or even if this is true

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Charles. I'm not sure which printer uses it, but HP has apparently released a pigment ink called "Vivera," though I'm not sure how reliable it would be yet, being new to the market.

Also, I meant to say C120 instead of C1200, sorry!

Charles, do you know if the C120 prints wide format, or is it limited to 8.5 by 11 like the C88+ ??

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks like MOST of the Epson printers Epson - Exceed Your Vision use pigments, but most of the printers I have seen recommended here seem to have been discontinued. I was looking into the CX7800 which I believe is the model Lou uses, but it has been put out of production as well. :(

·
Registered
506 Posts
It looks like MOST of the Epson printers Epson - Exceed Your Vision use pigments, but most of the printers I have seen recommended here seem to have been discontinued. I was looking into the CX7800 which I believe is the model Lou uses, but it has been put out of production as well. :(
Epson has several ink products on the market. As far as pigmented I believe the DURAbrite/Ultra DURAbrite is the only pigmented. The new Ultra DURAbrite inks come with these printers: Epson America, Inc. - DURABrite Ultra Inks

Some of the other ink sets are Claria & Ultra Chrome. I have read that some people have had a little success with the Ultrachrome but the DURAbrite is by far the better of the two based on this forums feedback. One thing to consider when buying a printer is the potential need for a CIS. Some printers are popular while others are not. I purchased an Epson CX5000 because I needed a scanner but nobody offers a CIS kit for it.

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
because of the way scanners are put together, I doubt you will find any all in one with a CIS..The scanner on top prevents the ink tubes from moving back and forth

The C120 is not wide format...it is just like the C88+..only a bit sleeker looking and faster..

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I believe I read about a CIS system available for the C120 somewhere earlier, is this true?

And while I'm on here, what good wide format printers would you guys suggest that uses pigment based inks and MAY support a CIS?

·
Registered
506 Posts
I am not aware of any wide format Epson inkjet printers that use ULTRABrite inks. The larger ones use Claria or some version of Ultrachrome. Some members have had success with the Ultrachrome but the largest majority use DURABrite. I don't recall any threads on the quaility of the Vivera inks. Also, if you will be considering a CIS most reseller's I have seen sell systems geared towards Epson products.

For larger prints you could go with an Okidata 8800 laser printer. That will do 11 x 17.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I will probably go with the C120 anyway, the only reason I was wanting something more was for the wide format. But most of my jobs could probably be cut down to the standard size, or pieced together if need be.

Chip, about how much does the Okidata usually run new?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The R1800 is wide format isn't it? I have the specs written in my notebook, but it's out in the car and it's cooooooooold out there. :D I thought I had marked it as being wide format. Does it usually come with Durabrite ink or Ultrachrome?

·
Registered
61 Posts
The R1800 Is A Wide Format Printer 13'' Max & Does Come with ultrachrome inks.
Got Mine Referbished At Epson.Com For $314.00 & Free Shipping , Don't Know If That Deals Still On But Good Luck....Mike

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That sounds great. I think I'm gonna have to find out about this one, and hopefully I will luck out like you did. And you can get a CIS for it, awesome.

Thanks again. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts