T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i've searched and searched and now i've quit. I searched everywhere to print my simple 1 color text design covering the majority of the front and failed. Every site either looks very sketchy and low prices, or contrict me to ridiculous sizes.

I've finally decided to just buy a blank black shirt and heatpress the design onto it.

At staple's they sell that "heat-press onto shirt" paper where you print it out from your computer and simply iron it onto your shirt.

I've worked with that paper before and it always ended up being horrible or having the design flake off later.

Is there any other types of paper that i can simply print out from my computer? any idea which store would carry it?

and finally, any tips on the iron-on heat transfers?

·
Registered
358 Posts
The only people I know that have had any luck with heat transfers with ordinary desktop printers are those printers that own epson printers with the Durobright inks. The durobright inks are waterproof and tend to have pretty good results. Otherwise you need to convert your printer to use special inks designed for this process.

I do sublimation so I have not actually used these inks but I am seriously thinking of converting my 4880 to do half sublimation and half heat transfer.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hi Daniel. For most types of transfer, applying heat serves two purposes. To set the ink and to activate the adhesive which attaches the transfer to the garment. It is possible to use an iron, but you need to apply quite a bit of pressure and ensure all areas are well pressed.

The iron on transfers sold in shops like Staples, are more designed for 'one off' events such as birthday parties, reunions, etc. Very few will stand up to repeated trips through the washing machine, without flaking, peeling, or fading. Your better option would be to buy a better quality transfer, from one of the suppliers on the left.

Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts