T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think? I have this "Mighty Press" now. I actually had them replace it after a few months because the hyrdaulic shocks went out on the first one. One problem I have once in awhile is the corners of the transfer coming up off the shirt a little. Then I need to repress those shirts. I use opaque transfer paper for dark shirts, I don't think it sticks as good as the white shirt transfer paper. Would a digital heat press or one that is air operated get rid of this problem do you think?

What is the best most reliable brand you recommend?

What features would you definitely not pass up on if you were to get a new one?

Thanks for all your help in advance!

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Hix seems to be the brand most recommended, but really it seems nearly any brand should do well and last a long time. The only brand I would avoid is Geo Knight; they are known for having electrical problems which the company has not addressed for many years.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Everyone is going to have a different opinion. Here's mine. :)

We started off with a Hix press almost 11 years ago. It was difficult to operate and had cold spots on the platen. I seem to remember the fuse popping a few times also.

After that, we have gone through a number of Geo Knight presses (combo, swing away and air operated) and they have been great. We had one problem with the handle on an early combo press. I happened to be travelling near their office and called them about a replacement. They invited me in, gave me a updated handle and showed me the new presses. I ended up buying another press from them that week which is still in use today. Very nice people in the office and great tech support on the phone.

Opaque transfers just plain stink. Everyone feels the need to try them, but few believe they are good enough to sell.

Would an air press assist in the application of an opaque transfer? The correct answer would be "Yes, an air operated press will help in the application of ANY transfer as it precisely controls the three things necessary for a transfer - heat, pressure and time."

Would an air press keep your opaque transfers from lifting off the shirt? Absolutely not. The opaque transfer is not as flexible as the shirt and the adhesive is very weak. If you stretch the shirt (through normal use or washing), the non-flexible opaque backing will eventually pull loose.

What features would you definitely not pass up on if you were to get a new one?

None!

...but of course you can only get what you can afford.

If you're just starting off, Geo Knight's combo press is great. It can handle shirts, hats, cubes, plates, etc. with just one press.

If you're going to be pressing a large number of shirts, you'll never regret getting an air operated press. If you're thinking about an air press, don't forget to figure in the air compressor - and a cheap pancake nailer compressor won't cut it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow thanks for all that info, I appreciate it.

I do have one question for you though... If opaque transfers are so bad, what would you use if you want to put photo images on a black T-shirt?

·
Registered
24 Posts
kilerb said:
Wow thanks for all that info, I appreciate it.

I do have one question for you though... If opaque transfers are so bad, what would you use if you want to put photo images on a black T-shirt?
Screen printing. Specifically process simulation for dark shirts.

Is it going to look close to the photographic quality of a digital transfer? Probably not, but that all depends on how skilled your screen printer is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts