T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm looking for the best film or transparency for my Okidata Laser Printer. I'm currently using Delta Autotype Laser Film and the images
are too light. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
110 Posts
You cannot print on a transparency so forget that. It doesn't work. A good stable vellum can be bought from Stahl's.

Further, hopefully your printer has a "media" selection control. ie paper/card stock/vellum etc.. Use a card stock or rough paper setting. Turns up the fuser so you get more toner.

"Toner Aid" is just an invented marketing term for "Matte Finish" spray fixative. You can get it at most craft and art stores.

Applying fix to the toner/art causes the toner particles to expand, hence making a much darker image. I use Krylon Matte Finish #1311 ('bout 5 bucks a can). Whatever you use make sure it does not block UV light. Read the label.

·
Registered
227 Posts
You cannot print on a transparency so forget that. It doesn't work. A good stable vellum can be bought from Stahl's.

Further, hopefully your printer has a "media" selection control. ie paper/card stock/vellum etc.. Use a card stock or rough paper setting. Turns up the fuser so you get more toner.

"Toner Aid" is just an invented marketing term for "Matte Finish" spray fixative. You can get it at most craft and art stores.

Applying fix to the toner/art causes the toner particles to expand, hence making a much darker image. I use Krylon Matte Finish #1311 ('bout 5 bucks a can). Whatever you use make sure it does not block UV light. Read the label.

Hi Zen,
you are mistaken there.
Yesterday I used m
the oki to print on ordinary OHP transparency. I then used a letralite to expose the transparfency onto APM Rapid MAsk Film for 1.1/2 miutes. No problems at all apart from slight bumps on one edge of the image.
I have some krylon clear somewhere, i will read the label.
I will try the vellum suggestion though as I am sure it will be cheaper than accublack transparecny film

·
Registered
63 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
So I have to ask: What is the difference between knowledge and experience? I don't mean to kavetch on here. I just want to know why most people on here say: Good enough.

I wish I had what most of you people have: Young

Maybe I can get Gov't money and set up a teaching facility. This business has given me a great life and I am not talking $$$, although there have been times of great wealth. Ahh too much money too young. Ack Ack Any takers? Anyone for the next level beyond "my my me me mine?

·
Registered
227 Posts
to my knowledge u cant print on transparency with a laser. but u can print on vellum. i use vellum and toner aid from silkscreen supplies. i do one and two color jobs nothing complicated. the vellum and toner aid works fine. i think i paid 6 dollars for the laser toner aid and 30 for the vellum. but the free shipping starts at 99 dollars. here is a link
Laser Printer Kimoto Positive Film, Laser screen film, laser kimoto film, laser film, laser silk screening film, laser screen printing film
Yes you can,
the oki is used in the UK to print onto some special transparency by some people to make car registration plates.
I just printed onto transparencies on Saturday to make a mask for sand blasting glass.
My question was about this toner aid which zen kindly put me right on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is a late response but check out UltraFine On Line and type in "ultra fine laser film". This is the best film I can find. It's pretty inexpensive considering I paid twice the priced 3 years ago. Also buy the toner enhancer. it is 18.95 for a bottle. I have made tons of prints and still have 3/4 left. You apply it extremely lightly with a watercolor brush. If you keep going over the same area it will start to take the toner off so do it right and keep moving. You have to let it dry overnight. The drying process is a chemical process and cannot be expedited. If you try to use the toner enhancer on regular non-frosted film it is very likely that you will remove the image because it is not bonded well enough. I have a printer that prints with a "dry" toner. I say that because the enhancer applies really nice to it. I have another printer that uses a "waxy" toner. The enhancer kind of just beads up. I use a cotton ball to apply it on this kind of toner. I use very very light pressure in a circular motion. I also keep moving as to not remove any image. This usually works well. I have tried a few things and this by far is the absolute best results I have gotten. Please let me know how things work out if you use my advice. I really want to know if it works for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did what you said on their site and they came back with the following: "787 results found for ultra fine laser film." Not going to search through all those choices but thanks for trying!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dont Know if you get this in the US but you could try using white spirts (Used for cleaning paint brushies). This darkens the toner well and is cheep enough. I dab it on with a cotton ball and dry it with a hair dryer.
Willie

·
Registered
872 Posts
I use Casey's Page Mill. The product is called Better Than Vellum. I use an HP laserjet 5200. I have been using it for years. I swear by it.
I never had luck with my Okidata laser printer for positives though, that's why I bought the HP.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts