T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to all of this and I am trying to set up a business to fulfill a need I see for banners in motorcycle racing.

What would you recommend in equipment for this? The banners would be 24" by 10' and vinyl.

Would it be best to get a cutter, buy the banners blank and use heat transfer vinyl to stick to the vinyl?

I have about 1k to work with to start. I was looking at something comparable to the gx-24. Maybe a US cutter?

How does it work - I have searched alot but Im not sure if I can create the design (layered by color) in photoshop or flexi then just cut it and lay it out. Does vinyl also come in sefl adhesive that would be better than risking using heat on heat -sensitive banner material?

What features will the cutter have to be able to read and cut from a print? And what printer will print onto vinyl??

Sorry about all the questions. I have been searching alot lately but I'm still a bit confused.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
You would be wanting sign vinyl (a lot cheaper than heat transfer vinyl, and pressure sensitive adhesive). Oracal 651 is one of the most common recommended types for general purpose applications. You would have to layer it based on how many colors are in the design.

To print on vinyl you need a solvent printer as well as a solvent acceptable vinyl (Oracal 3164 for example). The printer costs well over your budget though, and when you're at that point, it's best to just buy solvent printable banner material and eliminate vinyl from the equation.

Here's a list of some Vinyl and banner suppliers:
The World's Largest Wrap Supply Company - Fellers - Wide variety, carries a lot of the higher end stuff
Ordway Sign Supply - The Complete Source for Today's SignMaker. - Carries a variety of the commonly used items, tools, and banners. Easy online ordering and free shipping!
Sign Making, Sign Supplies, Vinyl Cutters, Sign Cutters, Vinyl Banners, Wide Format Color Printers, Laser Engravers - Has great prices and lots of different things, haven't ordered from them though because I hear lots of bad things about their customer service.
Sign Supply & T-Shirt Supply for Vinyl Cutters & Inkjet Printers - Beacon Graphics, LLC - Lots of specialty films at a great price, also has a lot of different tools.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
You may want to consider a full color printer like an HP Design Jet, although a new one definitely isn't in your budget.

·
Registered
224 Posts
better yet, find a wholesale source. You design, they print, hem and grommet and you sell to your customer.

We just sold our 54" pigment base printer to make room for the new 54" solvent printer. They are not cheap. You are much better off subing it out. You could go the plotter/vinyl route but you will spend way more then $1,000 to get all the materials needed to effectively make signs. PM or email me if you need a source, I know many.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts