T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We do graphic design and then outsource any printing (including t-shirts). We had a client recently come to us wanting us to design and print wife beater style tanks, but he suggested that he likes the Bella Brand.

I know American Apparel, Anvil, and Gilden pretty well, but looking at the Bella website, I am more confused than ever before. Their descriptions between a basic tank (women's) and a 2 x 1 ribbed are EXACTLY the same yet one is $15 and one is $20 (both ribbed, both 100% cotton)

I would love to hear from people who have experience with this brand.. I literally am looking for a basic women's ribbed tank (AKA WIFE BEATER)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Basic knit fabric is made from 2 stitches - the knit and the the purl. The face of flat jersery is all knit stitches and the reverse side is all purl. A rib knit is one knit, one purl, one knit ... called a 1x1 rib. It's not too noticably different from flat jersery. It is more stretchy though. A 2x1 rib knit is two knit, one purl, 2 knit... It makes it more ribby and stretchy. The wife beaters are usually 2x1 rib. For comparison the AA boy beater is a 2X1 rib.

·
Registered
721 Posts
By using the term "wife beater" I believe you are talking about the wide strap version of Bella's Tank top line.
The B4000 tank has a thicker, wider 2x1 rib that is more visible to the naked eye then the B1080 1x1 (baby) rib.
A lot of people prefer the ribbed Bella's because they are very form fitting and are a bit longer in length then other brands. My wife prefers the baby rib (1x1) over the 2x1 rib. The 2x1 rib material will feel slightly heavier then the baby rib does.
As for price are you looking at retail?
Most of the online wholesale/retail websites offer the B4000 for around $5.80 and the B1080 for about $5.60. (I use jiffyshirts.com for small orders)
Hope this helps

·
Registered
53 Posts
McCreary's also has them much cheaper than $15. I've printed on them recently and them recently. They seemed to be very good shirts. My wife likes them for running. I picked her up a bunch today. McCreary's is in Phoenix but I think they ship anywhere. Check out their website.

·
Registered
721 Posts
JV - does the 2x1 print as nice as 1x1?
I have not tried to print on a 2x1. Both have a lot of flex and I would think the 2x1 would be more of a challenge.
A solid graphic will need a lot of flex agent added to it. The graphic we use is text so it's not as important for that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I printed on berry color 2x1 racer back bella tanks last week. I used a glimmer black plastisol ink. I thought I was going to need flex agent...however, I didn't use any and it actually worked great. It was an abstract print of feet along with cursive writing. I wish I had a picture. It was an easy print and came out cool.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you so much for clarifying. I couldnt figure out what 2x1 meant and the difference betweena bunch of the tanks. I had a feeling it was the size of the rib but wasn't sure

As for pricing, i was just going by their retail website because I ASSUME if they are selling two items with similar names but one is more expensive than the other, then it SHOULD be a different product in some way

The goal is to get a wife beater style tank - so deeper ribs.. it will just have a logo on it, nothing crazy fancy.

As for where I will get them, I am just a graphic designer, I outsource the printing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts