T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to buy some womens t-shirts for a fair that I am doing and for the life of me I cannot find anything under $3. What brand t-shirts are you buying for your women customers and how much are you paying?

If you can help, please give name of company you are getting it from.
I need to put in an order today.:(

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I would advise against the Anvil ladies' cut shirts; we tried them and they really weren't very feminine at all. They were at least shorter cut (so a little better fit), but not really what you expect for a ladies' cut shirt.

Ladies' cut shirts simply cost more. I guess there's still less demand for them (or manufacturers are still deciding to charge extra for them). Most people selling ladies' cut shirts charge an extra $1-3 per shirt than they would for a male-cut to cover the increased cost.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your response.
Lou thank you for the research but I am going to heed Twinges warning. I cannot stand selling anything inferior.

It would be great if I could find out what womens style the forum would recommend, I am guessing Hanes Silver for women from what I have read so far.

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
I (and a few others here) like the women's blank t-shirts from Bella (bella.com). Hanes Silver for her is also a good choice though.

You're right though, women's blanks do always cost more.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I would advise against the Anvil ladies' cut shirts; we tried them and they really weren't very feminine at all. They were at least shorter cut (so a little better fit), but not really what you expect for a ladies' cut shirt.

Ladies' cut shirts simply cost more. I guess there's still less demand for them (or manufacturers are still deciding to charge extra for them). Most people selling ladies' cut shirts charge an extra $1-3 per shirt than they would for a male-cut to cover the increased cost.
Twinge, I disagree with you . I really like the anvil ladies shirts. They are super soft, and are form fitting. I prefer them to bella, although they are actually almost identicle to bella.

The reason womens shirts are more expensive is becuase women value style and clothing more than men. Women are willing to pay more becuase they value looking good more than men.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
jdr8271 said:
Twinge, I disagree with you . I really like the anvil ladies shirts. They are super soft, and are form fitting. I prefer them to bella, although they are actually almost identicle to bella.

The reason womens shirts are more expensive is becuase women value style and clothing more than men. Women are willing to pay more becuase they value looking good more than men.

i cant remember the last time a customer asked us for a Anvil Girls shirt.

btw, you know Big Bilboards, TV commercials, in store monster posters for the MacDonalds Salads promotion last summer ? the shirts we used for their ads were BELLA shirts.

Bella is not the cheapest but they are good quality.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
We used fruit of the loom for a customer that wanted to use the t's as give aways. Womens cut, and the spaghetti strap style.

They werent too bad, quality wise, fairly cheap compared to some of the others. They looked alot better after the entire shirt was pressed. Especially the spaghetti strap one.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Anyone try Anvil 323 4.2 OZ,

I really really like the black with hot pink trim. I think girls (the tougher rockabilly ones) would like that. Its feminine, but not too much.

Is it soft? fit good?

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Alternative Apparel make great women's shirts as well.

While women's shirts cost more than an average men's shirt (e.g. Hanes, Fruit of the Loom, Gildan), that's comparing apples to oranges. Women's shirts are normally made out of higher quality materials - when you compare an equivalent (e.g. AA men's and AA women's) they're usually the same price.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
for the life of me I cannot find anything under $3
Let's get back to the original question. If Ana asked for a more expensive shirt I would have suggested something else. I think the the use of the shirt should be taken into consideration. Ana is doing a print on demand type of show. She is not designing a tee for a retail shop. These are going to have pictures of pets on them at an event. She needs to be careful on cost. I did not see one answer showing price other than mine and I know from our conversation this has to be a factor. Also this event is now into the winter month.
We used fruit of the loom for a customer that wanted to use the t's as give aways. Womens cut, and the spaghetti strap style.
and some how I think this would be more for summer. The type of people that will buy these type of shirts at this type of event will be older if I am not mistaken. I have a pet site and almost all my customers are over 40.. (They raise pedigree cats for show and sale)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Robin, I am rolling on the floor.

Lou, my question was probably not clear enough and someone would have to know me well to know how I look at things when it comes to purchasing anything to work with.

I believe you have to start with a good foundation in this case the quality of the shirt even if it is only for this type of event. I just finished a job that you were very instrumental in helping me with, I could have made a bigger profit if I had bought a less expensive sweat shirt but I went with Hanes Beffy no shrink 80/20 for almost $6 and the 2, 3x ones costing almost $8 and that was because it was on sale. I believe that no matter what is going on the shirt, skin is skin and I want people to feel comfortable while wearing it. I would prefer to spend a few extra dollars for that.

I love this forum because you always come away with more than you expect because someone takes the time to stop and help.

Robin, I am still rolling.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
badalou said:
Let's get back to the original question. If Ana asked for a more expensive shirt I would have suggested something else. I think the the use of the shirt should be taken into consideration. Ana is doing a print on demand type of show. She is not designing a tee for a retail shop. These are going to have pictures of pets on them at an event. She needs to be careful on cost. I did not see one answer showing price other than mine and I know from our conversation this has to be a factor.
One can only really work with their experiences, and what we've tried of the Anvil shirts they don't even really qualify as a "ladies' cut" style, and thus I really cannot recommend them. Price is of course a factor, but it looks like there are others as well (as usual) =)

jdr8271 said:
Ah? That doesn't sound anything like the Anvil ladies' cut shirts we tried out. They almost looked more like men's shirts than ladies' cut (especially the neck and sleeves), and they were more in the norm of what we expected for sizing (unlike Bella, which was quite small).

Maybe only some specific styles in the subset of "Anvil ladies cut" are so mediocre? What specific style(s) (name or model number of whatever) are you using?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts