T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm going to be placing my 1st order ever for shirt and decal supplies using a roland gx-24.

I'm thinking 5 yard roll 12" of matte white siser easyweed, 5 yard roll 12" matte black siser easy weed, 5 yard roll 20" matte black siser easy weed.

Not familiar with the supplies I'll need to make 2-3 color vinyl decals.

Can someone please recommend starting inventory must haves?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Howdy, and welcome to the forum. You also need a squeegee (for decal material), weeding tools, a pair of tweezers for those pesky smaller cuts, a teflon sheet to cover your shirts and platen when heat pressing, maybe check out a set of pressing pillows, for raising the shirt when dealing with seams, buttons, and such. Also for window decals you will need transfer tape, either paper, or clear tape. maybe someone else will chime in, in case I forgot something's. And a little patience...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for the reply, just wanting to order everything I have to the 1st time around so that I don't have to pay more on shipping later for anything I forgot.

·
Registered
363 Posts
There are many different varieties and brands of HTV vinyl, some created for specific substrates, If I were you I would acquire the basics that mfatty mentions, then start ordering & experimenting with different vinyl brands before you commit to an order of any specific brand.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are many different varieties and brands of HTV vinyl, some created for specific substrates, If I were you I would acquire the basics that mfatty mentions, then start ordering & experimenting with different vinyl brands before you commit to an order of any specific brand.
I do appreciate the input.

According to what people say there are 2 leaders in the htv vinyl business sister's easyweed being one.

I just really don't feel like hassling, just want to place the 1st order and make do until I need to reorder.

·
Registered
363 Posts
No problem at all, there are more than 2 though & i'm sure others will input on that too but if Easyweed is your choice, and i'm not by any means suggesting it shouldn't be, then I would recommend Easyweed Stretch. The Stretch is a little more difficult to weed but its a matte finish instead of glossy and it also seems to integrate into the weave of the shirt a little better rather than appearing to sit on top like the more plasticky easyweed does.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No problem at all, there are more than 2 though & i'm sure others will input on that too but if Easyweed is your choice, and i'm not by any means suggesting it shouldn't be, then I would recommend Easyweed Stretch. The Stretch is a little more difficult to weed but its a matte finish instead of glossy and it also seems to integrate into the weave of the shirt a little better rather than appearing to sit on top like the more plasticky easyweed does.
Sorry for straight out dumbness/lazyness, any chance you could write out a 1st order list you'd place?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I use Siser products most of the time. If you live in an area where you could pick up your vinyl, go into the showroom to see if you can touch and feel the differences of different brands of vinyl And be able for someone to give additional info. I have that advantage to do so, where I live. I'm in the Chicagoland area, so we have few different options to do so. Good Luck, let us know the outcome!

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
Do not buy 12", only 20". You will waste too much material. I don't know that 5 yards is enough but at least it is a start. I would wait until you have an order and then order the HTV you need.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mfatty500 and binki thank you so much, I sincerely do appreciate you all taking time to help with some insight.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Nobody but you can estimate your 1st order and I agree with Binki on width too, you can always cut a larger roll into 12" strips or pieces or whatever if you need to. Also bear in mind Black HTV on a black shirt looks pretty good too with the right design. And when you're looking at different HTV's consider the different colour ranges available with each and how that will impact your designs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nobody but you can estimate your 1st order and I agree with Binki on width too, you can always cut a larger roll into 12" strips or pieces or whatever if you need to. Also bear in mind Black HTV on a black shirt looks pretty good too with the right design. And when you're looking at different HTV's consider the different colour ranges available with each and how that will impact your designs.
I mean a list of what my 1st order should consist of, aside from what they've mentioned I don't know what things I should order.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm not sure you actually fully understand the process of using the GX-24, if you did you would already have a good idea of what's required. Do what I did & go to Youtube and start watching videos of people using HTV for t-shirts & vinyl for decals etc, sisers own website has many too. You're likely going to need Youtube for any issues you encounter with whichever design program you choose to use as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not sure you actually fully understand the process of using the GX-24, if you did you would already have a good idea of what's required. Do what I did & go to Youtube and start watching videos of people using HTV for t-shirts & vinyl for decals etc, sisers own website has many too. You're likely going to need Youtube for any issues you encounter with whichever design program you choose to use as well.
Yes I do need to go educate myself with some videos. I was just wanting to place my order ahead of time to have the materials ready prior.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone,

I'm going to be placing my 1st order ever for shirt and decal supplies using a roland gx-24.

I'm thinking 5 yard roll 12" of matte white siser easyweed, 5 yard roll 12" matte black siser easy weed, 5 yard roll 20" matte black siser easy weed.

Not familiar with the supplies I'll need to make 2-3 color vinyl decals.

Can someone please recommend starting inventory must haves?

Thank you
[/QUOTE
What you are asking is simple - but trust me you will not go wrong if you do what i tell you. I've been doing this since the old Gerber machines which were dinosaurs but awesome. If you want to make shirts and you are using the sisor or comparable material - I BUY ALL OF THAT FROM GSG SOLUTIONS IN DALLAS WHERE I'M ORIGINALLY FROM - the have monster stock in everything.
IT IS VERY SMART ESP. WITH MATERIAL FOR GARMENTS TO BUY THE 15" 13" or whater it is. other wise when you cut you will have a huge piece left over on the side. you need to make sure you know how to do the art in vector format not raster and you need to save all your designs in RGB - color - not CMYK - the machine cannot interpret CMYK.
YOU ALSO CAN DO SOME design in the program with the cutter but i do mine in ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR and save as RGB - and then send to myself and import into that computer via email or with flash drive.
BUY THE SMALLER MATERIAL DO NOT WASTE MORE. and the GARMENT VINYL IS VERY EXPENSIVE. compared to the one for vinyl decals direct on the substrate.

ONE HUGE DETAIL I HAVE NOT SEEN ANYONE SUGGEST TO YOU IS MAKE DAMN SURE YOU CUT THE DESIGN IN MIRROR - SO IT IS BACKWARDS AND WILL TRANSFER RIGHT READING.

IF YOU CAN READ IT ON THE VINYL WHEN YOU ARE PEELING IT IS NOT CORRECT TO TRANSFER. YOU DO NOT NEED ANY TEFLON BECAUSE THE TRANSFER COVER IT COMES ON IS A PROTECTORATE AND YOU will be fine.

matter of fact i reuse those sheets after i transfer the image onto the shirt to press on other things later.

IF YOU DO decals with cheaper direct to surface not garment vinyl you will need a 'vinyl squeegie or two or three' to throw around the shop. but those are only for the things for signs, cars, etc. not for clothing

and the VINYL FOR GARMENTS is very rubbery and easy to rip off the sheet backer. if you mess up pulling the detail out you can just cut a little pc and put it in there make sure it matches the others - or you can also make small patches and they will fuse just fine. there are several material suppliers so you will need to get a stable one like GSG IN DALLAS or elsewhere - they back up their sales.

REMEMBER - AFTER YOU DESIGN YOUR IMAGE - MAKE SURE TO FLIP IT IN 'MIRROR' - BEFORE CUTTING

AND YES WATCH SOME YOUTUBES - AND BE SURE YOU DO A 'TEST' CUT BEFORE YOU START CUTTING THE REAL IMAGE - ITS A LITTLE SQUARE WITH A CIRCLE AND YOU PULL THAT OUT FIRST WHILE ON THE MACHINE TO see if it pulls out easily and you are not cutting all the way through the material.

good luck - you'll be fine after a few $10000000 and a million hours of getting your tricks of the trade under your belt!

:)
start with simple design and the add the second and third. you are starting in way to complicated way too fast.

jmopinion lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
i Have been using a GX-24 for about 5 years now for Tee Shirt Vinyl transfers. It is a great machine and has never missed a beat.

I have just about every colour available now, built up over time.... though I go through white at the rate of about 10 to 1 of any other colour.

Change the blades as soon as you notice any weeding problems, I generally use the Red 45 degree blade (and keep about 10 to 20 on hand at all times). if you get into reflective, use a separate blade holder and blade, as it chews through the blades (it is the glass in the reflective vinyl).

I actually import Korean Vinyl into Australia, and after using many brands, find a good quality Korean vinly the best (always adhesive backed).

Best of luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i Have been using a GX-24 for about 5 years now for Tee Shirt Vinyl transfers. It is a great machine and has never missed a beat.

I have just about every colour available now, built up over time.... though I go through white at the rate of about 10 to 1 of any other colour.

Change the blades as soon as you notice any weeding problems, I generally use the Red 45 degree blade (and keep about 10 to 20 on hand at all times). if you get into reflective, use a separate blade holder and blade, as it chews through the blades (it is the glass in the reflective vinyl).

I actually import Korean Vinyl into Australia, and after using many brands, find a good quality Korean vinly the best (always adhesive backed).

Best of luck.
Very good advice sir.

I wonder if the Korean vinyl and shipping would be cheaper than ordering here stateside?

Any chance you have a link where you order it from?

I really appreciate you taking time to help.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
You would have to buy a boatload of vinyl to make it beneficial, check on here for approved vendors. Take baby steps, buy only what you need, when you need, no need to warehouse it for the sake of just having it on hand. I use Specialty Graphics,( I think they are still a vendor on here) I buy full rolls, but they also sell by the foot/yard.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You would have to buy a boatload of vinyl to make it beneficial, check on here for approved vendors. Take baby steps, buy only what you need, when you need, no need to warehouse it for the sake of just having it on hand. I use Specialty Graphics,( I think they are still a vendor on here) I buy full rolls, but they also sell by the foot/yard.
I only plan to use black and white vinyl sir on black and white t-shirts sir, however what I was really referring to was any inventory for making stickers, and tools I might need (you know those must have tools such as: weeding tools, additional blades and holders (someone mentioned earlier), etc).

You don't know how grateful I am to those that have responded yourself included.

Thank you again sir

1 - 20 of 20 Posts