T-Shirt Forums banner

Beginner to shirts. Made my first shirt then washed it and design fell apart. Because of heat press?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  ashamutt 
#1 ·
Hey guys, so I just bought an enduracut plus vinyl cutter originally to make signs. The instuctions that it came along with said that I can make t-shirts with it as well, so I decided to give it a shot and I failed, but I really want to pursue this instead of making signs.

This is what i did:
I cut a design from the clip art and then the instructions said that on a 100% cotton t-shirt, iron it back and forth for about 1-2 minutes. So i did that and then peeled it off and great it looked/felt nice and smooth and I was happy. Then I put it in the laundry machine and boom it all fell apart and was completely off.

Does this mean that I need a heat press for it to stick on completely and be washer proof? or is my vinyl not the right material since it was vinyl to make signs.

If you guys can give me advice on how to be better off on making shirts I would greatly appreciate it.

#2 ·
Hey guys, so I just bought an enduracut plus vinyl cutter originally to make signs. The instuctions that it came along with said that I can make t-shirts with it as well, so I decided to give it a shot and I failed, but I really want to pursue this instead of making signs.

This is what i did:
I cut a design from the clip art and then the instructions said that on a 100% cotton t-shirt, iron it back and forth for about 1-2 minutes. So i did that and then peeled it off and great it looked/felt nice and smooth and I was happy. Then I put it in the laundry machine and boom it all fell apart and was completely off.

Does this mean that I need a heat press for it to stick on completely and be washer proof? or is my vinyl not the right material since it was vinyl to make signs.

If you guys can give me advice on how to be better off on making shirts I would greatly appreciate it.

You cannot use sign vinyl on shirts.

You will need Heat Transfer Vinyl.

Here is one of the many places that sell this product.
Heat applied transfer vinyl film for t-shirt and apparel decorating

:)

#3 ·
Big FUBAR. Heat transfer Vinyl for one color such as vector clipart and you really need a heat press for consistant results. An iron is hit or miss and you don't know the temp. I use Thermoflex Plus vinyl and find it great for shirts.

#4 ·
oh ok, thought so, i just tried it again today and tried to iron it longer to see if that would help, but it was even worse than last time.

i guess ill have to buy some of that heat transfer vinyl and a hot press lol any suggestions where i should get them from?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.