T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am currently in women's t-shirt wholesale. I have been contacting companies via email, phone, and mail. I am not getting a response from the companies. Can anyone give me advise and/or information in contacting companies to become a vendor to them? HELP!

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Can you give a little more info about your company and the companies you are contacting?

Are you selling blank shirts? Or are you selling a brand?

Are you contacting indy brands? Major brands? Department stores? Boutiques?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Kekeke.

Thank you for the reply.

Our company is a Women's Sublimation T-Shirt Company.

We design and manufacture our own Sublimation T-Shirts.

I have been contacting companies such as Ross, TJ Max, Forever 21 and etc.

Method of contact was mostly mail or email due to lack of contact number for the buying department of the companies.

I am new to the garment industry and just need guidance or information in getting a meeting w/ the clothing companies mentioned above.

I would greatly appreciate any type of information that you could provide.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Are you supplying any stores now?

The stores you are contacting are pretty big, so the competition to supply them is fierce. It may take time, but keep contacting their buying office and hope for a meeting or at least send them samples of your product line.

To supply big companies, you will need major distribution and low low low wholesale prices.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
We are currently supplying a few retail stores but our goals are to supply companies.

I will be patient and keep on contacting the buying offices of the companies.

Instead of sending pictures of the t-shirts, I will need to send samples from now on.

Thank you for your time and advice.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Tony, the best way to contact them by phone and ask for purchasing. Then ask for there apparel buyer. Send them a sample after you talk to them. Best of luck. John

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
From what I know, Tim and John are giving good advice. Another piece of advice I have received from a person who has been successful at this is not to try to sell your line over the phone or use email. The phone is your way in and to setup the face to face meeting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gaillock, sure I can send pictures but our designs are very different. Contemporary to Fine Art is our style. Please provide your email and I will send it to you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
you should also try making contact with salespeople or companies that have relationships with these accounts, sometimes it is difficult to break in without who you know. We sell these accounts and we have salesman for most of them

·
Registered
97 Posts
Are you supplying any stores now?

The stores you are contacting are pretty big, so the competition to supply them is fierce. It may take time, but keep contacting their buying office and hope for a meeting or at least send them samples of your product line.

To supply big companies, you will need major distribution and low low low wholesale prices.
What is considered for you and to others "low low low wholesale prices?" I've been trying to figure this question out for a while.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
What is considered for you and to others "low low low wholesale prices?" I've been trying to figure this question out for a while.
Depends on the store, but the ones listed in the original post are probably looking for wholesale pricing in the $3-$6 range for indy t-shirt brands.

But what is very tricky is that these big retail chains do crazy high volume for all their stores. So indy brands need to think forward and price themselves based on this volume, not the volume they start up with.

So lets say an indy brand is producing their shirts several dozen at a time for $6-8, they are probably trying to wholesale at $12-16. If they approach large retailers with those numbers, they are way out of the ballpark. And they unfortunately shooting themselves in the foot. If they re-figure their costs based on 10,000+ units for those large retailers, they will find themselves closer to the range. Of course, if they offer that pricing, they better make sure they can deliver that kind of volume. That's why most of these retailers work with vendors that use overseas production facilities. The volume and pricing best fits their business model.

Smaller stores are different, they may pay more for indy brands and value domestic production. But the trade off is, they won't do the higher volume that the bigger stores do.

·
Registered
332 Posts
It might be better to start with smaller stores first. Larger retailers want to see that you are getting lots of press and doing your own marketing before they will take you on. Are you in the media and are you doing a lot of marketing? And I think places like Forever 21 manufacture their own garments and TJ Maxx buys shirts at a discount off the wholesale price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts