T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. So I got burned last night while working on a run by smacking my hand into my flash dryer for a split second.

could have been worse. Got some aloe from a plant near our shop and all is good.

Here is where you can post pictures or stories of some of the battle scars of screen printing and promote shop safety.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,512 Posts
I hope that looks a lot worse than it actually is :) It looks like you have a slug on the back of your hand.

I haven't done anything like that... yet.

I'm trying to think of anything, but I don't think I've really injured myself screenprinting. I've got some extremely superficial burns from an iron. I must have picked up some cuts here and there. Sometimes my thumbs hurt from trying to carry too many screens in one hand :D

Oh, and I hit my head on the corner of a screen that was protruding from a storage rack. Hurt a lot, but didn't even break skin.

I guess I've been lucky.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
I didn't do it screen printing, but I sewed my finger once.

It's a good thing I own the company - or my boss would have fired me on the spot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,008 Posts
I have burned myself a few times with the heat press and the worst was the portable heater. I use a portable heater on top of a propane tank. I touched that thing once and it went through several layers of skin. I have a nice scar to show for that one.I think we all know the potential is there, but we sometimes have a brain cramp and then need to be shown. .... JB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Shop safety is always important but in our industry one of the worse things that are always overlooked is press operators fatigue..... We run a rather large operation and we normally move press operators from one machine to another - it is basically the same job - running a press but with a different design on it so there is a little change on their heads.
I've had one time an employee with many years of experience being hit by a turning table on an automatic - OUCH - he got in between without pulling safety cord apart and the other guy started a test print without knowing he was inside. DUMB! but it happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
The injuries you get from screenprinting are genrally not visible,I have tendon damage in my right elbow (gives my curry every big job)and have had an Iguinal Hernia from years on a one arm,I have also had every known screenprinting chemical in my eyes and have had burns from high pressure water cleaners. When I was an apprentice (in the first week on the job)I accidently slopped a big dollop of Haze remover on my nose and did not relise for a few hours when I finally noticed (the stininging) and wiped it off it had eaten a small crater in to my nose. I still bear the scar .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It sucks to be the example. I'm happier that this had happened to me an not an employee.. but I can remember back in shop class in Highschool being shown lovely pics of people losing fingers and such not being careful with what they are doing. Though this burn wasnt exactly the top of the list of an accident that occured ( I was once building a computer for my previous employer and sliced my hand open on the case) Kinda a freak accident really as it was more so occuring like a paper cut.. but it just makes you realize you have to be cautious. I'm glad this thread is getting attention. Thanks guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
414 Posts
I sheered off some a small piece of skin on my thumb...TWICE with the pressure washer. I had just finished washing it off and i saw a little bit of emolsion on a section, so while i was holding the screen, the water just grazed my thumb and took off a layer of skin. Right before it happened i was thinking "I should put this down and just spray it on the floor" DOH
And that was the second time i did it... I never learn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,008 Posts
I remember my wife was doing a embroidery job (many years ago) and the needle went through her finger nail. I 'll never forgot telling her not to bleed on the white shirt. we laugh about it now, but back then it took her a long time to forgive me for being so insensitive to her being hurt. I guess that was a triple injury event( her finger,her feelings, and my cold shoulder). I think being complacent is the major cause of shop injuries. ... JB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
I was opening a new store a few years back. Hired a bunch of folks to stock the shelves. Had a safety meeting to lay some ground rules. Gave a demonstration on how to use a razor knife to open boxes. Guess who cut themselves first? That's right, me....Went to the emergency room and had a heck of a time getting them to not report it as an occupational injury to workmens comp. They didn't understand that I owned the store and wasn't covered under the workers compensation blanket. Anyway, the crew got a kick out of that. Razor cut hurt......:D
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top