T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I've been told that the 9700 printer cannot withstand big runs as the cartridges loose their pressure, therefore, shorter commands are to be given and the machine should be turned off periodically after every 50 mt. job.

If this is not done so, then you are to face tremendous banding issues that even a clean will not be able to help.

Firstly, is this true??? and if yes how does one solve the issue if it ever can be solved???

Second, i'm using Watsach as my rip, but my colours are really dead !!! can someone help me here??? the guys doing the profile, are ............... better not use the word here!!!:mad:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
which cart do you suggest, and where can i get them from???

ive done the alignment and its helped to a certain extent, however, ive found, that, if you give a run of around 2500 inches, you must turn the printer off and then restart it. This does help in removing the banding a bit.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm a reseller of Epson as well as others and havevnoticed a great deal of head replacements on all the models with the 9700 head. They also have a colour issue force first 7cm of a new print after being idle for a hour or so.
I have never seen a problem as you explain so I would blame the cart, this range of Epson have a hard to copy cart.

If its not the cart its the head but good luck with that if you're not running genuine Epson ink.

·
Banned
2,512 Posts
9700s get their speed from running two heads for each colour, it simply isn't possible to align two heads as well as one, there seems to be an inconsistency with this model, some seem OK others are dubious. I've just stopped supplying them!
Great to see a post from a vendor being upfront and honest on a new printer they sell. Early indications from posts remind me of the good old Ricoh 7000. New printer, touted as a really fast reliable solution yet early problems were just the tip of the iceberg to what was going to come down the road.

The entire concept of a dual head 9700 makes little sense. Sure vendors will get people excited about the "speed" versus other printers but just like the Ricoh 7000 what percent of users truly take advantage of the increased speed? Who has their printer running 8-12 hours a day thus needs the extra speed? If you do a Ricoh 7000 or a Epson 9700 is probably not the right printer for such heavy use.

Second if you are in the wide format arena you know that virtually every major issue and related cost with the printer are print heads. Why would anyone want to double their headaches and double their maintenance cost on a printer for some extra speed?

Cannot imagine in a year or so of heavy use what replacing two print heads would cost unless Epson really drops the price of them compared to other models. Only time will tell whether this is the next Ricoh 7000 or a valuable tool one should consider.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I don't give up so easy!
I have a good friend at Epson that helped
me understand the issues and the new firmware
support.

Do you remember the 4000?
It's dual support really worked out well.

If your ever in our area, would love to have
you visit. We have an excellent printer lab.

·
Banned
2,512 Posts
One can have the greatest printer lab in the world yet it obviously does not reflect a printers value or reliability. That is only done once the printer is in the hands of a large number of consumers. No lab can recreate mass distribution and long term use. Case in point the GX7000

Again the concept of having two heads to maintain and replace makes zero sense. What is the cost to replace two heads and all the dampers?

·
Registered
9 Posts
We're running 3 Epson 9700's. Same issue on all three printers.

I upgraded the firmware to the latest edition, ran Bi-D 2 Color Alignment, then Uni, then Bi-D All. All three were done in manual mode.

I hope this helps someone else since we spent hours on this -through trial and error we've found that the best settings are Paper Thickness:0.0 mm
Platen Gap: Minimum (0.8mm)
Roll Paper Tension: Default
Paper Feed Calibration: 0.1
Vacuum Intensity: 1.00

We are using a Variable Dot Light Pattern because this printer is so damn fast. Our profile guy is fantastic and he can't figure it out either.

The banding occurs on all the colors but is the most prominent on the black and the cyan. Within each pass you see

We have a 9880 that operates flawlessly using the same ink.

I would think that it was the cartridges but we are using 2 different bulk systems because our supplier only had two sets and we bought the third separately. All Korean made and appear really thought out.

The banding issue is absolutely driving us crazy. I would appreciate any and all assistance.

Sample of the issue
http://www.s411062069.onlinehome.us/Trash/photo (2).JPG

·
Registered
9 Posts
360 x 720

The point of us getting the 9700's was the speed. To have shorter passes, we would have to bump up the resolution, and pay to reprofile.

Conde seems to be running theres without issue. I don't know what their resolution though.

If I don't have any other choice then I guess we will have to. I don't know if it will fix it even if we do...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.