T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so after months of research i finally brought all my equipment, on a budget that's why i went down the inkjet heat transfer route. after doing loads of test today i just cant get it right.

First i had trouble with the printer, had loads of banding on my prints. done lots of nozle checks and cleans it has got better but not perfect.
then came the heat press, i just cant get a nice soft finish they all seem like plastic to touch. I read you can get a lovely feel to it but struggling to get it.

i wish i could afford plastisol but its out the question, if people could share any advice and tips i would be very grateful.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Can you explain in a little more detail exactly what type of transfers are you using? If from an inkjet printer on transfer paper, those work best mainly on white or lite garments, and should get a very soft print, as what you are doing is simply transferring the ink from the paper to the garment, the heat press causes the ink to "gas" off the transfer paper, and then "set" into the fibers of the shirt.
Are you using any other type of transfers that you're getting from somewhere else?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply, i am using inkjet printer on to transfer paper. im using YOLO soft stretch transfer paper. it feels like rubber, i do think i read some were that telfon paper comes in handy as well, will that affect it? it took me a few hours to get a decent printer setting, ive read people set it to inkjet setting others use gloss settings. i think next im gonna do a test on every printer settings i can think of.

·
Registered
675 Posts
You may have to try some other transfer papers, and also certain type of teflon sheets are avaibale for your heat press that will render a gloss or non gloss finish if used after you peel off the transfer paper. You will have to experiment to find what works best for you.

·
Registered
492 Posts
so after months of research i finally brought all my equipment, on a budget that's why i went down the inkjet heat transfer route. after doing loads of test today i just cant get it right.

First i had trouble with the printer, had loads of banding on my prints. done lots of nozle checks and cleans it has got better but not perfect.
then came the heat press, i just cant get a nice soft finish they all seem like plastic to touch. I read you can get a lovely feel to it but struggling to get it.

i wish i could afford plastisol but its out the question, if people could share any advice and tips i would be very grateful.
I suggest going to Youtube and watching the Martin Butler videos. He runs a home based T shirt business in England and who uses inkjet prints on his shirts. He has tested all types of inks, transfer papers, etc. and describes them in an educational video.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
No matter what printer you're using, don't use photo or best photo. All you're doing is wasting ink. For transfers, more isn't better. I use text or text & image setting & they come out perfect. You have to use a quality transfer paper for a quality print. I always use ironall, tho many will swear by jpss or others. You can get sample packs from nearly everyone, so don't buy in bulk until you find one that works for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.