T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
It's hard to say whether now is a good time to launch or not. If your product is appealing to a certain audience they're going to buy regardless.
My thoughts have always been that in any economy, good or bad, someone is making money. Just our job to figure who it is and how it's being done.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hi. It is true that people tend to spend less, when talk of recession is about. It can definitely be a risky time to start a new venture up, but it really depends whether you are starting up full time, or just doing it part time?

If you are planning on doing it full time and completely dependant on the venture as a sole source of income, then you have to evaluate the potential risks, more than if it is just planning it to be a paying hobby, to begin with.

Starting a new business, recession or not, always involves a high element of risk.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
start now and you can make the inevitable mistakes and learn... then as things continue to get better you will be ready to go... There is money out there... you just have to be creative...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Many people will still spend money in retail in a bad economy.

A nice shirt with a cool and unique design at a reasonable price should sell.

If you can do it part time, and keep your overhead and expenses low, it is a good time to develop some designs and get a few shirts out there.

Heck, humorous T-shirts "about" the bad economy would probably sell well.

Good luck.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The economy isnt looking so great at the moment. People are saying a bad recession is not far away.

Is it a risky time to start a clothing label with people not spending money in retail?
It's kinda ironic, because we are getting more and more contact from people wanting to start their own label/line, etc. Now, whether they will succeed is another question - and not necessarily due to the economy, but lots of other factors.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The economy isnt looking so great at the moment. People are saying a bad recession is not far away.

Is it a risky time to start a clothing label with people not spending money in retail?
But only some countries are facing a recession, not the entire world.

You could try targeting a wider, international audience... i.e. do some homework, see if it's viable and feasible to sell to people who are into Aussie brands/ Aussie-made stuff.

I know a lot of people whom I call "Japo-philes" (not sure if it's a real word) - who love anything & everything Japanese / Japan-related. I'm pretty sure there's a market out there for Aussie-philes as well.

Like someone said, if your costs & overheads are decent, then why not, go ahead. A recession's not going to dampen your determination to become the next millionaire, is it? ;-)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi, it is always a good time to start a business, provided you you have a product or service to offer that has a demand, present it in an appealing way and at an attractive price (it does not need to be cheap to be attractive, value for money is far more important). The current world financial situation is a result of corporate/government(s) actions. My advice...plan well, keep a very close eye on the money and give it 100%.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I believe it depends on your demographic. if your market is for people who like witty satire shirts, you presumably do good.

I think the area that might get hit the hardest will be optimistic expressive shirts. or open-minded art.
only because I believe people who are artists and love to buy and wear genuine art allow themselves to get affected by there surroundings making there emotions vulnerable to dictate there spending and buying mood. (haha so my new shirt company might fail) but i'm also in canada where we are booming! so ya never know!

·
Registered
614 Posts
In every market in every industry will have ups and downs. You adjust your business to those times and clients. Is it smart to try and retail shirts for 50 bucks or setup a flea market to blow them out at 15-20 bucks. Only you know your desired market and business setup. Hope this helps..

·
Registered
268 Posts
I just started a clothing line 6 months ago with a partner. Our initial investment was $12,000. We are now 6 figures in the black. Can it be done in this economy? I think our company is proof that if you do your homework and offer the right product it doesn't matter what the economy is like. It doesn't hurt that we've been doing private label manufacturing for 17 years but I still think that it can be done even if you don't have all that much experience.

BTW be careful selling outside the U.S. Trying to get paid from someone outside your state is hard enough. Imagine outside of the country.

John

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I too sell my items to an international market. It is the spiralling cost of freight charges linked to rising oil prices, that is the major limiting factor with doing International trade nowadays.

The 'talked about' recession is a worldwide, rather than a regional issue at the moment. Everyone I know in business is currently busy?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just started a clothing line 6 months ago with a partner. Our initial investment was $12,000. We are now 6 figures in the black. Can it be done in this economy? I think our company is proof that if you do your homework and offer the right product it doesn't matter what the economy is like. It doesn't hurt that we've been doing private label manufacturing for 17 years but I still think that it can be done even if you don't have all that much experience.

BTW be careful selling outside the U.S. Trying to get paid from someone outside your state is hard enough. Imagine outside of the country.

John
That's excellent return on your investment. What type of line is it???

·
Registered
19 Posts
im start'n regardless if we are going into recession. but i guess you can say i m lucky. i know some ppl that know some ppl..........that's all i can say for know. good luck with your business venture.:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts