Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully someone can help,
I see a lot of shirts these days that seem to not use backing
or tear away backing?
I'm new to embroidery and following some advise from someone
in that was in the business for a long time says to use a medium backing
on polo's? I have a job and they are nike dri fit polos(white) logo is going on chest
and sleeve.
HELP
thanks in advance

·
Registered
299 Posts
Polos are a knit the more streach a fabric has the more stabalizer it needs, you have to use at least a med wt cutaway backing with a polo. I'm doing a polo right now and I used a light wt tearawy iron on plus a cutaway, so the image dosen't lose registration. trust me you need backing.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Tearaway is much thinner for fabrics that are woven and don't streach as much, there are books that give you a guide as to what backing for what fabric, but trail and error will tell you sew it out an a piece of spare material so you can figure out which backing to use.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
or tear away backing?
I'm new to embroidery and following some advise from someone
in that was in the business for a long time says to use a medium backing
on polo's? I have a job and they are nike dri fit polos(white) logo is going on chest
and sleeve.
HELP
thanks in advance
Enmart, one of T-Shirt Forums Preferred Vendors (listed on the left side of the page) has some good information about backings on their website.
Read this and see if it helps you. EnMart Embroidery Talk

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I don't remember the trade name or supplier (sorry about that) but I have used a almost translucent cut away for very thin white shirts. The stuff looked as see thrugh as tracing paper but held up a lot better than tear away.:)

·
Registered
168 Posts
or tear away backing?
Maybe what you're seeing is a cover stitch material? It irons on the inside of the shirt and covers the stitching so it's more comfortable and doesn't scratch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts