T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, you can call me Jess. I'm jumping right into it.

I've started to create some designs for martial arts t-shirts. Some of my prints came out really well with Avery transfers but not with Staples (sorry Staples, but your product is inferior). I was testing both to see what kind of quality I'm dealing with. Ironing on is the only option right now as I'm testing out my designs. I don't want to buy a transfer machine till I'm sure I know what I'm doing.

This morning I called Avery to inquire about transparent backgrounds. My question was: After I have saved my designs with a transparent background, how do I make certain when I print onto the t-shirt that the transfer will print only the design?

I was told I had to manually trim around the design. By the way, I already tried that and it turned out great. The problem is, cutting around such an intricate design took up a lot of time and it would be very inefficient to conduct business this way.

As well, the Avery representative told me to choose the background colour of the t-shirt so it blends together. I've also done that and I can clearly see there is an outline, hence I have a rectangle shape on every t-shirt I print on.

My point is, if PaintPro8, which is what I'm testing my designs with, or any other software, offers the ability to choose a transparent background, why bother if I have to manually trim the edges to get a no background effect?

I've walked around the malls to check out different types of t-shirts and there are many with print all over them. They also look like they have been woven into the material or photographed on. It is easy to wash such t-shirts and I can iron over the designs because there is no paint pressed onto the material. One such brand is the line of "Extreme Couture". I don't like the skulls and crowded look but I like the way the print goes on and the quality of the t-shirts. This is the effect I want, how do I get it? (I just had a thought as I wrote this, maybe I should ask Extreme Couture directly.)

I haven't checked any of the discussions yet but if there is already an answer to this, please point the way to the right forum. Otherwise, someone please help me. One last note, I've seen some answers on other sites and they are difficult to follow. I need some clear, point form instructions.

·
Registered
487 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ann

Thanks for answering. I'll check it out. Also, I found a site called www.AlphaSupply.com. after I wrote in; talk about timing.

I have so many creations in my head, I have trouble going to sleep because my mind won't shut up. Once I'm awake from a sudden explosive idea infiltrating my dreams, I stay awake till my creations are done and I collapse in bed four hours later on average.

There are so many new and beautiful t-shirts, shorts and sweat pants that will look gorgeous once I put my designs on. So far, I've used most of my existing t-shirts to test my creations on and I've salvaged some of them from being tossed out.

Anyway, I'm telling you this as if I've known you for ages. Yup, thanks again for your help.

Jess

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Ann

You have incredible designs on your website. Now I'm really envious. I used to live up north B.C. and my husband's family over there is into hunting but not me. The most I've done is target practice. Looking at the hunting t-shirts is a big reminder how vast this industry is. Anyway, I have lots to do. Have a great day!

Jess

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Leo

Thank you and I feel very welcomed. My inspiration for designing t-shirts comes from my training in Filipino Kali under Gary Herman who is my full instructor. He got his instructorship from Mark Mikita.

Your designs are beautiful. I have big shoes to fill.

Jess

1 - 8 of 8 Posts