T-Shirt Forums banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
i think somebody recently inquired about removing the background from a photo and isolating an object/person

their is a dedicated program called cutout made by franciz here

i have been playing around with cutout7, and it works really well and really fast
this version 7 is free here

this is one i just did in about 30 seconds (you can go back in and add/remove to get a more detailed cutout)

View attachment 275695 View attachment 275696 View attachment 275698
Here is an online one that works very well for us.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
this is a good (albeit older) vid tutorial for background removal in gimp
GIMP and Photoshop are OK if you only have to do one or two photos per day, but doing 200 photos this way is not easy.
Here is a photo from another thread where the issue can be demonstrated.
Clothing Head Outerwear Product Jersey

Now imagine having to do t-shirts for the whole school :eek:.
AI tools can do a much better job in seconds and you only have to make minor adjustments when necessary.
The way I see it, making $2,000 in one day ($10 per shirt) and have a loyal customer base, is better than making $4,000 in a week ($20 per shirt) and keep hunting for new customers all the time.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

This site worked good for me.
where the other online one struggled, this one of yours did a bang-up job

it does cost a little bit, but if this is something that forms part of your business, it's worth it
really quick and quite accurate

for me, i do the odd one for friends or family, so the original free one i posted is fine (or gimp works well too)

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
What does a 'big knock' mean?
hi kimi, welcome aboard

'big knock' means the program is sitting on a value pedestal held up by blocks and a big knock on the blocks takes out many of the blocks (thus lowering the value of the program)

enough big knocks and the program becomes a non-starter

knocks are subjective,
there are some on this board that care not if it is online and comes bundled with a key-stroke logger and various other trojans (maybe even access to your camera and microphone, won't that be wonderful?)

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thanks @into the T but I'm still a bit lost. When you said "+ being online is a big knock imho" what did you mean?
how bout this:
a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

what happens when your internet is down and you need it done asap?
what about when their server is down (like happened to adobe for over a day)?

what exactly are you agreeing to in the terms and services agreement (some online programs outright own or have some control over your artwork)?
plus all the logs, trackers, and privacy infiltrations it sends back to the mothership

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
how bout this:

what exactly are you agreeing to in the terms and services agreement (some online programs outright own or have some control over your artwork)?
plus all the logs, trackers, and privacy infiltrations it sends back to the mothership
You make a valid point here, @into the T Also, consider this ...

I've used Photoshop for many years now. I've had CS5 for a long, long time, which is a full program, not 'Cloud' software. As such, it has always been there when I needed it and I've never needed it more than now.

I decided a while back to pay the monthly subscription fee, which worked well, for a time ...

However, Adobe, in all their infinite wisdom, have decided that many features now need a higher performance graphics processor that is less than 4 years old. Overnight, this made my second Win7 PC obsolete and my main PC running Win10 having many features 'greyed out' in the menus. All of the 'advice' I received was to upgrade my GPU or buy a new PC.

Now, There's nothing wrong with either PC which are both running fine and run everything I need them to. In fact, with regard to this forum, what do you need a computer for? Usually it's to simply produces a few t-shirt designs, print them off and, if necessary, cut them. Most folk need nothing more than an old PC running XP to do this, but now Adobe have decided to put the block on that and have even made it almost impossible to roll back to a previous version that worked.

So, it's been 'Adios Adobe' from me. I've cancelled my subscription (and they've made a lot of money from me during that time for software I've never owned) and gone back to CS5 on my Win7 machine. Just to p*ss them off I've also downloaded a cracked version of CC2021 (for trial purposes, of course!) that runs fine on the Win10 machine. I reckon I've paid them more than enough for this version.

They can keep their stupid updates and neural bloody filters. Much more powerful A.I. features are available from other software (mostly free). I only now stick with Photoshop because I have so many PSD files that include Smart Objects, which I use extensively, otherwise I'd just switch to Affinity.

·
Registered
3 Posts
how bout this:

OK so by knock you mean a negative. Those points about online service failures are useful btw. I didn't even know that Adobe was out for a day. That must have been very challenging for a lot of people!

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
You make a valid point here, @into the T Also, consider this ...

I've used Photoshop for many years now. I've had CS5 for a long, long time, which is a full program, not 'Cloud' software. As such, it has always been there when I needed it and I've never needed it more than now.

I decided a while back to pay the monthly subscription fee, which worked well, for a time ...

However, Adobe, in all their infinite wisdom, have decided that many features now need a higher performance graphics processor that is less than 4 years old. Overnight, this made my second Win7 PC obsolete and my main PC running Win10 having many features 'greyed out' in the menus. All of the 'advice' I received was to upgrade my GPU or buy a new PC.

Now, There's nothing wrong with either PC which are both running fine and run everything I need them to. In fact, with regard to this forum, what do you need a computer for? Usually it's to simply produces a few t-shirt designs, print them off and, if necessary, cut them. Most folk need nothing more than an old PC running XP to do this, but now Adobe have decided to put the block on that and have even made it almost impossible to roll back to a previous version that worked.

So, it's been 'Adios Adobe' from me. I've cancelled my subscription (and they've made a lot of money from me during that time for software I've never owned) and gone back to CS5 on my Win7 machine. Just to p*ss them off I've also downloaded a cracked version of CC2021 (for trial purposes, of course!) that runs fine on the Win10 machine. I reckon I've paid them more than enough for this version.

They can keep their stupid updates and neural bloody filters. Much more powerful A.I. features are available from other software (mostly free). I only now stick with Photoshop because I have so many PSD files that include Smart Objects, which I use extensively, otherwise I'd just switch to Affinity.
webtrekker's words of wisdom

adobe is now an apex predator (and has been since the creative cloud launched, research auto renewals)

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
OK so by knock you mean a negative. Those points about online service failures are useful btw. I didn't even know that Adobe was out for a day. That must have been very challenging for a lot of people!
that is a very concise and appropriate read kimi

somehow that ease of language eludes me (terrible communicator)

·
Registered
38 Posts
i think somebody recently inquired about removing the background from a photo and isolating an object/person

their is a dedicated program called cutout made by franciz here

i have been playing around with cutout7, and it works really well and really fast
this version 7 is free here

this is one i just did in about 30 seconds (you can go back in and add/remove to get a more detailed cutout)

View attachment 275695 View attachment 275696 View attachment 275698
Don't suppose there is something like this for Mac ? :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
webtrekker's words of wisdom

adobe is now an apex predator (and has been since the creative cloud launched, research auto renewals)
They were long before that. They acquired most of their software by buying out the competition. In the case of Macromedia, the SEC blocked the buyout for X-number of years. Once that expired and was not renewed, Adobe bought Macromedia and soon killed off its products. I worked in the software duplication/manufacturing industry back then, and watched as Adobe bought and killed one of our customers after another. Buy it to kill it is pretty predatory 💩

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
They were long before that. They acquired most of their software by buying out the competition. In the case of Macromedia, the SEC blocked the buyout for X-number of years. Once that expired and was not renewed, Adobe bought Macromedia and soon killed off its products. I worked in the software duplication/manufacturing industry back then, and watched as Adobe bought and killed one of our customers after another. Buy it to kill it is pretty predatory 💩
Yeah, Adobe killed off Flash rather than fix the issues. Flash had so many good points.

When I consider all the years I have been using Photoshop CS5 and compare it to the latest editions I see very little improvement. CS5 runs fast on my PC and rarely a crash, whereas the latest versions have many issues, some of which have been left unfixed for years even though there are continuous complaints about them in the Adobe forums. Every new release seems to break more than it fixes.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Yeah, Adobe killed off Flash rather than fix the issues. Flash had so many good points.

When I consider all the years I have been using Photoshop CS5 and compare it to the latest editions I see very little improvement. CS5 runs fast on my PC and rarely a crash, whereas the latest versions have many issues, some of which have been left unfixed for years even though there are continuous complaints about them in the Adobe forums. Every new release seems to break more than it fixes.
Yes, sadly typical of the software industry in general (or more abstractly, American business).

Framemaker is a program for writing complex documents, like software manuals and text books. I used at work for years and years. Many of the same stupid bugs persisted the entire time, even though Adobe expended an entire release just on updating the interface to look like the new Microsoft Office layout and menus ... but still popped-up the same buggy dialogs as before. After Adobe bought the company that created Framemaker, they outsourced the development to India. A common practice at the time. Same thing happened to my job, so I'm not just harping about Adobe, they are just one of the more obvious players in this losing game.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts