T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi... what is the average price for a design by a graphic artist (for a tee) ? They approach me and say they will be happy to do work, but when i ask what their pricing structure is, they say it depends on the design etc.... i know this but i would kinda like an idea to go off..... like for example this was £ 50 ...... is this too low per design, or we looking more like £300 ?? i really havent a clue to base it on? can anyone help. Thank you.

· Registered
190 Posts
Re: Sourcing Graphic Artists for free?

IMHO $100-$150 is about the norm but you can pay a lot more or a lot less. Obviously the are a number of variables like size of design, number of colours etc
My designer is in Romania and she has agreed a fixed price for 20 designs.
Her work is excellent, has won T-shirt design contests, produced designs for major brands, and is in talks with on of the world's largest sportswear companies.The main challenge is finding someone who's style fits what you want to acheive.
Where are you in the UK Shellou maybe I can help.
Paul

· Registered
3,643 Posts

Shellou said:
Hi... what is the average price for a design by a graphic artist (for a tee) ? They approach me and say they will be happy to do work, but when i ask what their pricing structure is, they say it depends on the design etc...
There is no "average" price for a design. The reason it depends on the design is because some designs will take a much longer time to make than others. It also depends on the talent, skill, and experience of the designer.

If you think someone's price is too high, you can always make an offer of what you think is reasonable.

· Registered
5,377 Posts
I have a pricing guide for freelance and contract work. If the art is for preprint it is based on a $75 per hour rate (Plus royalties or large flat fee) If its regular screen printing I charge $20 per color (like recreating company logo's, John's Lawn care design, etc.)
Simulated process and Index separations are $200 up to 6 colors. more colors quote is given
CMYK $250.

Every one will have their own rates. Some are worth them and others are not. You will always find someone cheaper. Is it the best thing to use them thats between you and your artists. I know a lot of artists that warrant good money for their art. As far as prepping that art for printing they have no clue. I would rather pay a llittle more for one who can gurantee the art and prints that just a regular artist. Unless your willing to pay for art and then separations. Some will include the seps in their fee's some will charge extra.
If you find someone you like , work with them for a while. Usually they (artists) will hook you up after a good working relationship. If your looking for that one job at the cheapest rate, you might be look for a while.

· Registered
82 Posts
fwiw, industry standard for freelancers in the action sports industry (billabong, split, volcom, etc.) is $300. Some pay more, some pay whatever they can get away with. Burton pays up to $450 if there's significant work/artwork involved. Sole Technology (Es, Emerica, Etnies) pays between $250 and $350 (simple vs. complex). It's a buyers market, which forces most freelancers into lots of spec work.

· Registered
287 Posts
Right now I don't take to many work as I have my own projects but I have prices starting at $50 for a one color design, then depending on the complexity of the design I start negotiating.

All of this depends on the person you're talking with and how much you like the artwork they create.

· Registered
5,377 Posts
Could you clarify what you mean by "royalties"? Do you mean you require a commission for each shirt sold by the person contracting the work?
Exactly. The art cost usually is on the lower end for which the royalties kick in to compensate. This practice seems to be declining with out right purchasing of the designs. This is also harder to control. Simular to Collegiate and NFL printing.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thank-you so much for your advice everyone i really do appreciate it very much!! I am in Manchester, UK. Streetwear market 18-30. I like the mid/upperscale streetwear brands, like Diesel, Salvage, Guess, Buddhist Punk, Kings of Glory, Mavi, Boxfresh, Volcom, Religion, Illustrated Peolpe, Henleys...... to name a few!! I love the work of BANKSY, Neasden Control Centre, Raphael Vicenzi, Joel Lardener, julia Pfaller, Container, Vault49, Hjarta Smarta, Toshifumi Tanabu, Adhemas, Sophie Toulouse, Henri Obasi. But i was a little unsure as to whether these well know designers would be extemely high priced ?!

· Registered
287 Posts
Well known designers will allways be high priced, that's one of the things that makes them exclusive.

But there are a lot of young and talented artists that are on the verge of starting a career so that they can be like the ones you mentioned... maybe in a few years.

· Registered
74 Posts
As an artist I quote each design seperately as their are no 2 designs that are alike therefore no one price could cover certain types of design. I mean if someone wants an idea of my prices I usually email them some past work along with an idea of what something like it would cost.

· Registered
31 Posts
I am on the design side of things as well. The difference between designs can be huge. If your company is one that they have faith in, some artists will do
work upfront for free and receive payment say of a $1 a shirt sold up until the agreement between the two of you has been reached.
In regards to royalties, that is pretty rare. Only if the artist is very well known or part of a big firm.

· Registered
74 Posts
As an artist I would be leary of accepting royalties from a company not well known. Selling the shirts depends on so many other variables like marketing and things like that. If you accept royalties as payment and the company is horrible at marketing no matter how great your art is the shirts probobly will not sell.

· Registered
42 Posts

Tgraphics said:
IMHO $100-$150 is about the norm but you can pay a lot more or a lot less. Obviously the are a number of variables like size of design, number of colours etc
My designer is in Romania and she has agreed a fixed price for 20 designs.
Her work is excellent, has won T-shirt design contests, produced designs for major brands, and is in talks with on of the world's largest sportswear companies.The main challenge is finding someone who's style fits what you want to acheive.
Where are you in the UK Shellou maybe I can help.
Paul
if you want the straight dope on prices by the top graphic designers int he world, go to elance.com and they bid on your project. the cheaper the better. they show the profile and pretty much you choose based on their portfolio. but be careful working with people out of country. i don't mean they'll cheat you but if you want a 'coat of arms' graphic design done you don't want someone from say india or asia to do it. good luck yo!:D

· Registered
287 Posts

promptees said:
if you want the straight dope on prices by the top graphic designers int he world, go to elance.com and they bid on your project. the cheaper the better. they show the profile and pretty much you choose based on their portfolio. but be careful working with people out of country. i don't mean they'll cheat you but if you want a 'coat of arms' graphic design done you don't want someone from say india or asia to do it. good luck yo!:D
I don't want to offend anyone but I think most of the best artists are from outside US.

Anyway with most of the freelancers you will work only online so it's the same if they are or not from the same country as the buyer. Also in most of the cases not the payment method is the worry... just the portfolio of the artist.

Have fun!

· Registered
5,377 Posts
IM with Gill on this some what. Not all the best artists are outside the US. A lot are though.

you don't want someone from say india or asia to do it
This is an ignorant statement. Why wouldnt you weant someone from there to do it. If the art skills are there im surew they would do it justice as anyone else would.

· Registered
42 Posts
for example, a lot of hot designs (www.notw.com) are crowns and shields like the link i listed. i'm not saying the best artists are fromt he US. in fact all my graphics artists are from south america and india, so please don't think of me as ignornant.

if you would want a design of of a coat of arms, which originates from europe, you would obviously want someone from europe to create that design, not someone from asia. if you wanted an asian collage dragon type design, maybe someone from asia would be your best candidate. If you wanted a design of a world trade center memorial maybe someone from the US would be the best candidate. maybe i ididn't make myself clear, but you must admit that is the honest truth.

maybe it sounded ignornant but does that not make sense?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.