T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really curious to how much you guys make a year just for the selling of shirts and etc. Is it really possible to break a million just on selling shirts? I was talking to some of the local owners around my area and I was surprised as to the fact that they were hauling a huge amount of money in every year.

So I got curious as to how much you fellows make a year? I just started and I am only looking at a few hundred a month, around $200-$300.

I know this is kind a private question so if you dont feel like sharing i dont blame you and you can just tell me a range too.

Thanks guys.

Ben.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
the range is nothing to millions of $$. T-Shirt Hell and cafepress both make millions.

Most t-shirt startups however are not very successfull. I would take a guess that a new t-shirt website is probably started every day...and another t-shirt website probably closes down every day. The range is really all over the place. It depends on your t-shirt designs and advertising.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i would have to agree with jdr on that one. the market for original and fresh t-shirt designs is very big in the u.s, but i think that alot of people are mislead by the potential low entry cost for this kind of business, and they then underestimate the importance of a proper and effective marketing plan. you can have the best designs in the world, but if you dont have a strong marketing process, you will simply not hit the big numbers in terms of sales. and also there is a growth period in any business, and many folk who dont understand that concept simply lose patience, and give up before their tide comes in. so in the final anaylisis, you must have hot , original designs, AND a strong consistant marketing effort to make this (or any other business) work. that would probably explain why alot of talented start-ups fail. but success is out there for those who best prepare for it! remember: IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, THEN YOU MUST PLAN TO FAIL! but with a proper gameplan, you can win the war before you even step on the on the playing board!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I guess the thing to get is when you start a business there is a period of spotty jobs. Sometimes you have one... sometimes you don't. Then there are the normal business cycles. Like Febuary. Don't expect too much this month.

·
Registered
28 Posts
das_king said:
I am really curious to how much you guys make a year just for the selling of shirts and etc. Is it really possible to break a million just on selling shirts? I was talking to some of the local owners around my area and I was surprised as to the fact that they were hauling a huge amount of money in every year.

So I got curious as to how much you fellows make a year? I just started and I am only looking at a few hundred a month, around $200-$300.

I know this is kind a private question so if you dont feel like sharing i dont blame you and you can just tell me a range too.

Thanks guys.

Ben.

Good question, to bad it was'nt answered

·
Registered
93 Posts
johnsmith said:
Good question, to bad it was'nt answered
It is a difficult question. You may have some people who are just doing this for a bit of fun and work on their t-shirts occassionally and some who work on it full time, which would not give a very fair comparison. A lot of people won't want to disclose how much they earn.

·
2,957 Posts
TROskell said:
It is a difficult question. You may have some people who are just doing this for a bit of fun and work on their t-shirts occassionally and some who work on it full time, which would not give a very fair comparison. A lot of people won't want to disclose how much they earn.
You are very wise, my friend!;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am going to take a wild guess and say that the average income for a successful full-time website is around $6,000 a month.

Probably too high or too low....

·
Registered
28 Posts
das_king said:
I am going to take a wild guess and say that the average income for a successful full-time website is around $6,000 a month.

Probably too high or too low....

hmmm since no one responded it could be too high or everybody just wants to keeps it private

Well i'm about to find out real soon from experience

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Generally, how much people earn is considered private information :)

Also, what someone else makes has zero bearings on what your potential earnings are.

Some people make a dollar and some make a million. Some make more than that, some make less than that. The possibilities are limitless. You control how much you make.

I don't think there is a meaningful "average" like you would find in a survey of "Chef's Salaries in the New England Region".

·
Registered
63 Posts
>I was talking to some of the local owners around my area and I
>was surprised as to the fact that they were hauling a huge
>amount of money in every year.

What kind of "owners" are you talking about?
Do they have custom t-shirt shops off the internet or what?
How much money is a "huge" amount of money?

Did any of you guys hear about those "Jake" t-shirts?
I think their slogan is "life is good."
They claim to have a revenue of 50 million dollars a year.
I find that hard to believe. Their clothing just has this stick figure
drawing of a character named Jake that is shown doing various
leisure activities. I never heard of it other than in the article and
I wouldn't buy one of those t-shirts myself.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Quickne$$ said:
>I was talking to some of the local owners around my area and I
>was surprised as to the fact that they were hauling a huge
>amount of money in every year.

What kind of "owners" are you talking about?
Do they have custom t-shirt shops off the internet or what?
How much money is a "huge" amount of money?

Did any of you guys hear about those "Jake" t-shirts?
I think their slogan is "life is good."
They claim to have a revenue of 50 million dollars a year.
I find that hard to believe. Their clothing just has this stick figure
drawing of a character named Jake that is shown doing various
leisure activities. I never heard of it other than in the article and
I wouldn't buy one of those t-shirts myself. I think a stick figure
drawing on a t-shirt is lame.
I have seen those shirts also, just in a retail store though. And the store sold mostly jackets and hats with only a few shirts. It was geared towards a middle aged audience from what I saw.

I find that hard to believe as well, the shirts are pretty weak in my opinion, I always wondered what brand they were as it didn't say on the shirt, just had random stick people.

·
Registered
224 Posts
FYI...go to lifeisgood.com and read their media articles. This company should be an inspiration to all of us. According to the articles, two brothers worked for over 5 years trying to come up with a concept and design. They finally hit on "Jake" and it took off. They have been in business for 10 years and their revenue is now over $50 mill a year! Keep on keepin' on and good things will happen!!

·
2,957 Posts
Yes, it is refreshing!

I think what I'm doing is somewhat similar. It's just more for the urban wear market. Hopefully I can have the kind of success these guys have had!

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
From a marketing point of view I find that most of the shirts I see on the web are the same. cafepress to me does well because it has so many people using it but how many single users make money? It is cafepress that does the volume of business on the designs of the people who use it to sell. I think if you are going to make money you need to be unique in your designs and have a 1. great website which has all the right set ups for search engines to find. and is easy to view and says what it is. 2. Sell wholesale and make contacts with business that will take a chance on your product (This is my main way of doing business) 3. Don't price yourself out of the market to begin with. I have read here by various people it is not the shirt that sells but the design. True.. but when you take $1.50 tee shirt and market it for 20 bucks I think you are marketing to a very few people who will pay that for a shirt. I wonder how many of you actually visit retail stores that sell tee shirts and really examine the product. I have a tee shirt store here in town that sells the Gildan 6.1 heavy weight with numerous designs already printed on them Guess what the price is 5 for $10.00. I even thought about buying them from them at retail and putting on one of my sites. (I have a reail and wholesale site. )Am I making money. I am in the black.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I think one key to making MORE money, is to cut out middle men like Cafe Press, Zazzle, Spreadshirt. - and print them yourself.

A heat press is a realtively small investment to make, to start a small business. Do as much of the production yourself as you can. The average T costs $20.00. Not much. But why give anyone a penny of it, if you don't have to?

JMHO

1 - 20 of 233 Posts