T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Within the next couple of days I will be creating australian themed shirts, but I'm not from this country. What's popular with australians, how do they talk what's hip?
I've already created one theme and I have a few more sidewinders to use. Got a few elephants and rhino's, and I know mate and bloke. Suggestions would be a great!

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
cameo said:
What's popular with australians
The same things popular with those in England, Canada and America for the most part. Australians largely look to other countries for fashion guidance, and sadly we don't have a particularly unique voice in that area.

cameo said:
how do they talk
Our official language is English, and it's fairly rare for people to speak other languages (although we do have a vibrant immigrant population, so that's not always the case).

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Solmu said:
The same things popular with those in England, Canada and America for the most part. Australians largely look to other countries for fashion guidance, and sadly we don't have a particularly unique voice in that area.

Our official language is English, and it's fairly rare for people to speak other languages (although we do have a vibrant immigrant population, so that's not always the case).
Wouldn't hurt to create one?
What do you think?

·
Registered
9 Posts
oh man ....lol ...yup shameless you are dead on mate ...one thing i have learned about in all my years as a designer is to know your subject before designing it....you cant ask a question or two then proceed to work up some concepts ...the best way to approach it is to either live there ... study it ... or know what you are talking about ... for the average american to come up with australian designs is not a good idea.

[edit: removed rude comments]

·
Registered
9 Posts
yup swingin ... fishy is the word ..maybe its the mullet its wearin on its head lol ... being a perfectionalist youd think some homework would be done first lol
addy

·
2,957 Posts
I agree ForumLord. Cameo, it would seem you would do more Research on the subject before you decided to Experiment with elephants and rhino's for Australian-themed shirts. There is something to be said for trying to find an untapped market, or coming up with a certain niche for your business, I can understand that. [edit: removed rude comments]

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
To be far, Australia has one of the sharpest fashion eys in the world. Places like Melbourne and Sydney pulse with the fashion....ummm...pulse.

I lived in the UK most my life, and the US for a while, and now Melbourne. Melbourne is by far the most "fashionable" place I've ever been....just take a walk down Smith Street on a Saturday night...this place is *bleeding edge*.

As for designing "Australian t-shirts" I'd have no idea where to start. Plonking a kangeroo and "G'day mate" on a shirt is the sort of thing that only American tourists would buy, along with a "Wombats Next 5KM!" bumper sticker. The fashionistas of Australia (ie, those willing to pay to import on the internet) are probably not looking for "Australian themed" goods. It's like expecting China to import soy sauce (which you made in Russia...from a vague idea of what China is...throwing some bean sprouts and firecrackers in a bottle).

And there are no more elephant and rhinos in Australia than there are pandas and hippos in Canada. Althougn I think there's a certain surreal charm in a picture of an elephant with "G'day mate" under it....

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
kat said:
and solmu...it is not rare for australians to speak languages other than english..I speak two languages, my mother speaks 6...and I know plenty of australians who are bi and multi lingual.
It's not as rare as I thought, but it's still uncommon. The "I know plenty of" argument never holds any water - anecdotal evidence is not particularly meaningful.

According to the ABS almost 16% of people speak a language other than English at home (I have no idea how that compares to other countries). I admit that's more than I would have thought. Finding information on second languages etc. is a lot harder, but even after looking at those stastics I'd say the majority of Australians are not fluent in more than one language. Perhaps "rare" was a poor word choice though.

I may be wrong, and if you do happen to have the stats on multi-language fluency I would certainly be interested in being corrected. At any rate, it's not particularly relevant.

Frankly everything I said in my first post should be taken with a large grain of salt. I was pissed off, and consequently acting overly glib. I know nothing in that post was of any real consequence, so I apologise if it offended.

monkeylantern said:
To be far, Australia has one of the sharpest fashion eys in the world.
Certainly. It's my opinion though that Australia doesn't invent fashions, but rather follows them (mainstream Australia anyway - I've seen fantastic original work coming from Melbourne fashion designers, but it rarely catches on with the general populace (or overseas)). Australia does have the advantage that rather than being stuck following one school of fashion (i.e. only Milan, only Paris, etc.) it takes in an eclectic mix, and it does so, as you say, on the bleeding edge.

I just don't think fashions originate here, so what works elsewhere should work here.

Again, happy to be corrected - I don't have any particular investment in the notion, it's just an opinion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
According to the ABS almost 16% of people speak a language other than English at home (I have no idea how that compares to other countries).
i believe your original statement was that it is rare for australians to speak another language. you didnt mention "at home." As i said, my mother speaks 6 languages..obviously she does not speak them all at home, that would be pointless because no one would understand her. If I had of realised you required statistics I certainly would have quoted some, rather than using "anectdotal" evidence. I do apologise if you found my post to be less than meaningful.

as for australian fashions not being popular overseas...you have obviously never heard of Sass and Bide, Arabella Ramsey, Pani, belinda fairbanks, bec and bridge, mavi, white suede, to name a few? All successful designers overseas.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
What is your intended outcome with this antagonism?

I already admitted that I made a poor word choice, and apologised if I offended. I admitted my contentious post was made of very little substance. I also opened up a path for you to prove me wrong if you wanted to pursue that (I'm happy to acknowledge being wrong in that case), or let a pointless argument lie if that was your preference.

As far as I can tell you're just trying to pick a fight. What are you trying to achieve?

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
forum rules said:
Be Courteous!

Don't attack others with words. Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. Flaming, derogatory insults and hate speech will not be allowed in this forum. If you disagree with another member’s point of view, do so in a mature and civil manner. If someone seeks help from other forums members, please do not respond unless you have something positive or helpful to add. If you find yourself being flamed or insulted by another member, please do not dignify that person with a response. Notify a moderator or admin and let us handle it.
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/showthread.php?t=4

Just a little reminder folks :)

·
2,957 Posts
Are you saying that you won't be using those specific animals? You said you "already" had elephants and rhino's and that you already know mate and bloke. Implying that you would be using elephants and rhino's in your Australian theme. I don't think anyone was trying to say that you shouldn't use animals if you wanted, but that you should at least choose animals that are indigenous to Australia. As far as personal attacks, I probably got carried away (I get worked up too easily sometimes) for that I apologize. But if you're going to use animals, pick animals from Australia. That's the main thing.;)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Exactly, that's why I asked. Since your country is unknown to me and the animals that live there, I'm pretty unsure of what would work best.
Corectly me nicely if I'm wrong, but you've got roo's, lizzards, snakes of all kinds, and what else?
What kinds of animals are well known and populated, and which ones are only seen by australians?
I would assume that alot alot tourists don't get to see what you see while their there. If they do, than their lucky? or is it easy to spot all kinds of creatures?
I'm from louisiana we have a slang and from what I'm told so does alot of aussie's right?
Very different way of speaking I'm sure.

I've got alot of work cut out for me on this one.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The animal part was like picking the animals from a hat with a question mark?
I wanted a yay or nay answer. I'm certain that us country folks are funny to you because we live in two different world's. I've never been to australia.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts