T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im attending a latin music festival this coming Sunday and I know there will be other vendors there selling t-shirts. My question is, "what can I do to attract more people to my booth" Should I offer some sort of special coupon or give away of some sort?

This event is going to be near the beach and it is expected to be hot. I was thinking of offering free water but I think the event sponsors might not like me taking business away from thier concession stands. Does anybody have any experience in this type of scenario? Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
I've read that it can help to be engaging to the people passing by. Comment on their hat, make eye contact, crack a joke.

Maybe you could offer a giveaway of one of your shirts. That can be how you get people to the booth? Although that may backfire if people don't buy because they think they are going to win.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I once handed out cheap small flyers no larger than a business card.

I basically said to everyone that I gave one to.
"Will you at least stop by my stand and tell me what you think about my shirts
even if you don't buy one?"

"You promise?"

I made more sales than usual this way. Also I took down the email addresses from everyone so I had a mailing list for the next time that I was going to have a table.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Depending on the event, you may not be able to give away water. Concession stands won't allow it. I think a stand with "flash" attracts attention. It could be lights, We're planning on using some xmas lights on our pop up canopy next week at our first event. You could use flags, banner rope or even some helium balloons over your stand.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
At the blues festival I helped sell my shirts but they sold water bottles not to drink but to spay. It help keep people cool and it bring them to your booth. Check out the dollar store or a cheap place for spray bottles fill with water. sell for $2.50 each. We sold out over 50 in an hour. it was hot!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Location, location, location.... and if that's not in your favor, hire a couple of those "trade show girls" and you will get the guys checking out your booth.

You can also have one of the girls circulating in the crowd handing out small flyers.

It always works at the biker events I go to and the Medieval fair.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a large banner that says"T-shirts". I also fly a US flag above my tent . This tends to separate me from other dealers. Works well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not as well as we would of liked. I had banners, handed out cards to concert goers asking them to check out our booth and gave away free Jolly Ranchers
but with little success. The concert event was mainly for a younger crowd. The price of the tickets was $75 with the younger crowd not having much expendible cash any money they did have went on $6 beer. The other t-shirt vendors didnt do well either. On a good note I did some networking with other t-shirt vendors that were there and recieved more advice as to which events I should look into attending. I will put this one in the book as lesson learned and look for events that have an older crowd.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Sorry the event didnt turn out as expected. I have a couple questions for ya. What merchandise were you selling? T-shirts with Latin themes...music t's or just your brand of Tee? Were you selling pre-printed shirts or heatpressing? How was the event turnout overall...mixed group or just young Latinos? Learning experience for sure...took me about a year to actually find quality events with the right mix of folks. I also heatpress vinyl and do customs on the spot which creates interest. Do not be discouraged...anytime you can take your wares to potential customers instead of waiting for them to come to you is a plus.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Thanks for the report back! I'm sorry it didn't go as well as planned, but hopefully the networking helped to make up for it.

Sometimes the right lead can be gold.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I can only tell you what draws me to a booth/stand that is selling a craft. Give them something to watch. Bring a laptop if you have and do some mindless but flashy design work through the course of the day. If you heatpress, take it and press a few shirts as the day goes on. Make it seem a bit harder than what it is but not so much as to be treating onlookers like theyre fools. If youre a screen printer this may be a bit harder. Also I like booths/stands that stay in the theme of the rest of the area it occupies. Blinking lights and loud music at a quiet flea market stands out for all the wrong reasons for me. Just a few things that draw me in.

·
Registered
101 Posts
hammered said:
If you heatpress, take it and press a few shirts as the day goes on.
I spoke to a guy that presses almost all of his shirts at the event. The customer picks out his transfer then tell him size and color of the shirt he wants. He then makes the shirt right in front of the customer.
He has a 24' vendor trailer with 2 big windows he works out of. I told him I was thinking about getting a trailer I could use to haul my race car when I wasn't selling t-shirts. He said to buy one with windows. When he switched from a regular enclosed car trailer to one where people could watch what he was doing, his business tripled.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Its the same concept that pizza parlors used when they put a window to watch the dough thrower. Curiosity is a wonderful tool for attracting business. My partner has a laptop and we ended up with a 20" LCD missing its base for a good price for just this. Now I just need my press to show up. But thats a long painful story, gotta love Ebay.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
hammered said:
Its the same concept that pizza parlors used when they put a window to watch the dough thrower.
An opportunity to check the personal hygeine of the person making your t-shirt? :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts