T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am still newbie to this forum :)
I wanna start my clothing line business in Indonesia, and thinking to use organic cotton as my materials.
i heard that organic cotton has some soft feeling and such, but really, what makes organic cotton better than conventional cotton?

Is there any supplier from Indonesia that can provide certified organic cotton? Is it more expensive than conventional cotton?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Organic cotton and regular cotton may or may not be better then one another, depending on the species and refining processes used.
Organic just means the growing process is more natural than traditional corporate farming. Certified organic cotton has no chemical pesticides sprayed on the crops, natural fertilizers are used in the soil, and no genetically modified seeds are used to grow the crops.
The feel of organic cotton and regular cotton can be worse or better then one another. The process that determines the softness of cotton is called combed and/or ring spun. Combed and ring spun combined will give the softest hand on organic or commercially grown cotton.
Lastly, their are different species of cotton. Tree cotton, American cotton (also known as Egyptian or Sea Island cotton, and/or Pima cotton), Levant cotton and Upland cotton.
Species of cotton and the amount of processing of the cotton, will determine the the quality of the final product.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Organic cotton is a lot better in terms of how it was grown. It is grown without pesticides (so the farmers don't breathe in the dangerous fumes), it is more sustainably managed and a lot of companies that use organic cotton also have other eco-friendly practices in their manufacturing.

The organic vs. conventional doesn't determine the feel of the fabric - it's the process used that determines it. But, overall, organic cotton is better for everybody!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Good point tees,
I forgot to mention the different types of dye processes for cotton colors and how toxic some of them are. Most organic clothing is dyed with a solution of non toxic pigment powder and a non toxic soluble solution. This does not mean all pigment dyed clothing are non toxic. Pigments can be mixed with chemical solutions as well, which can be just as toxic as traditional dye methods. Look for certified organic clothing to make sure the entire process from seedling to final product is being done according to strict standards.
The synthetic dye used in most commercial clothing dye processes are very toxic to the environment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks all for the answers :)
personally i also agree with you that using organic cotton is best way for us all...

however it is very difficult to find organic cotton supplier in my country :( i see that tee from organic cotton seems to be widely recognized in other big country such as US, but in indonesia, not many people know about organic cotton...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Organic cotton is natural green cotton produced without any chemical prevention against pollution from the stage of seed to the stage of agricultural product based on the management of organic manure, biological prevention against diseases and pests and farming. Moreover, it is a kind of certified cotton in which the pesticide, heavy-metal, nitrate and pests (bacteria and parasitic ovum included) are within the limitation of the standards in other countries or of the standards of “Agricultural Product Safety and Quality Standard” issued by WTO/FAO. The production of organic cotton not only needs light, heat, water and soil in the cultivation, but also has specific demand on the cleanness of soil environment, water condition of irrigation and air environment. Therefore, the production of organic cotton is an essential part for sustainable agriculture, which has tremendous significance in the protection of ecology environment, the promotion of healthy development for mankind and the satisfaction of consumers on green ecological garments.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts