T-Shirt Forums banner

ask for help rather then do it yourself? feedback please

527 views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  dub3325 
#1 · (Edited)
Re: Where do I even start?

I've upgraded my site from the place i've hosted it on. Although they offer different functions it still seems hard to use. I've spent plenty of time reading up on how to create a website although when I actually have one now I'm finding it really hard to make adjustments myself. Would people say that it would be better to ask for help rather then do it yourself? Granted I've only spent a few hours working on it last night in total and no more but its still very basic. I'm really unclear on the point of whether you can hire a web designer to change a website thats already hosted. I'd welcome any comments on my site from those of you with your own sites...big or small and experience or little experience.

I think my site is in my signature so I'll welcome any comments or suggestions. Just remember that I've only created it last night in the space of a few hours..

Thanks,

Nick.

#4 ·
A few thoughts:

Your header graphics are very nice but they are taking too long to load. Also, you really should just use one graphic - the other one with the faces of two people is confusing, and competes with the larger one. I would ditch the smaller one and make the "HONGKONGDMZ" one (with the traffic light) half the size it is now.

On your "About" page, the wording is difficult to read. Right now you have two huge paragraphs with two different type sizes. Make all the type the same size, and try to cut down some of the things you are saying into a few choice phrases and small paragraphs, so it will be easier to read it quickly.

Think about why people will visit an "About Us" page? What do they want to find out? Most likely: Who started this company? Where is it located? What is this company's mission/purpose? What products do they sell? What makes them different from other brands?

You might want to consider writing some kind of "FAQ" that has some answers about shipping prices, the sizes of your t-shirts, etc. Check other t-shirt sites you like for good examples on what to put in your FAQ page.

You also need a "Contact Us" page with a real email and phone number at least.

The "Pics and Photos" section is confusing. Aren't pics and photos the same thing? Also, are these pictures of products for sale, or what? That should be clarified.

One more thing - lose the site counter. It might be a good thing to have when you've had hundreds of visitors, but when you've only had a few, it doesn't look good.

Also - as far as hiring a designer goes - I checked out your hosting company's website, and it looks like they give you a template-based "Sitebuilder" to start out with. If you are using that, I think that if you can't figure out how to do something, the best thing would be to contact them directly or see if they have any help pages.

Other than that, you are doing really good so far so just keep messing with it for a while, and if in the end you can't get it to look the way you want, hire a designer. Most any designer will work with an already existing page, you won't have to get a new one from scratch. :)

Hope that was helpful!

#9 ·
Nick,
Tried to access your site and this is the pop up I got

Warning: the web page which you are about to visit may attempt to request your personal information (such as passwords, credit card numbers and social security numbers) for unauthorized use or may otherwise attempt to harm your computer.

Malicious web sites can use this type of address in order to disguise themselves. The destination may appear to be:

www.<font%20color="seagreen">hongkong<

but the actual destination is:

www.<font color="seagreen">hongkong<

Have never gotten this message before so, didn't go onto your site. :(

Cheryl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.