T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got an idea to print some 'art prints'. Planning on using just regular plastisol inks, 1-3 color.

I reckon I can print up to about 23"x19", albeit it can prove to be a bit tricky.

Mostly what interests me is the actual material, parchment, what ever it's called. What exactly is the perfect solution for a material? Is there anything that's affordable? What do you guys use?

What other special details are there I need to focus on when planning the job? Ins and outs?

Enlighten me, oh masters of art printers.

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok! Did some testing this morning and made a few observations. I'm gonna have this discussion by myself now but feel free to take part and fill in. And take notice this is one area of screen printing I've naver done before. Just decided to try it. Testing was done using regular plastisol.

I made some prints on black 220g Matte stock paper, using 2-colors. Was this the suitable material? I have no idea.

First thing I noticed was, it's more difficult to keep the bleeding to a minimum. The sharp detail tends to become blurry after a while, but then again, my screen wasn't in tip top shape either. This had me thinking that proper off contact, a very fine mesh and/or thicker ink might help.

Second thing I noticed was, after flashing the bottom color, the paper sheet wanted to curl up real bad. Thus, I pre-flashed the sheets, applied adhesive and then laid down the first color. But, the curing didn't really help keep the paper sheet very smooth. It became a little 'bumpy' and was harder to slap it tightly on the pallet surface.

The good news was that one layer of ink is very sufficient, printing on black sheets.

Other than that, the prints looked ok. So I see this potentially working alright some day, just gotta take these things into consideration and learn more.

If anyone got any tips on making it work better, I'd be glad to read it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.