T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was one of those days today and I'm hoping for some positive reactions to a printing decision I made today.

The bottom line first for those who don't need the history -- I used Wilflex Finesse as a clear base with yellow on top after flash. Will it hold up? I suspect so because the spec sheet says fully curable at 320 and limited only in quantity as an add-in by the desired opacity of the base color...but, hoping someone has done it previously with good outcome.

Background: 800 turquoise tees with yellow print on both sides with deadline of today. Kind of a rush order because I am the contract printer, not the seller and the organization had to wait until the last minute to get as many sponsors as possible. All 800 fronts printed with lemon yellow print-flash-print and looked sharp. Zero misprints -- although typical Gildan dark colors spot problem on at least twenty or more shirts.

Now the backs...

My first hope was to use discharge yellow without a flash. Had never used it before so bought some Wilflex Oasis NF and mixed up with Wilflex Lemon Yellow (50/50 by volume) and added 6% activator powder by weight. Tested on a red shirt and when it came out of the dryer - it was perfect...a miracle! Ran another test on a black shirt with same results. Grabbed one of the sapphire Gildan Ultra Cotton tees and printed it. Nothing. Tested an orange shirt and it worked well. OK...guess I just found the first color that won't discharge.

2nd hope was to cut two identical screens (full of detailed sponsor logos) and print-flash-print on automatic press. It worked for a little while and then something went wonky on the press and arms 2 and 8 (only) wouldn't register -- only at top of design and off by about 1/16". Fooled with it for many hours and gave up (because the shirts have to get done today!)

3rd hope - maybe one coat of yellow will look ok. Nope...looks like heck, although there are several dozen with this print in the finished batch, and several dozen pretty-close-to-registered double hit yellow backs.

Last hope - print a clear base and flash with yellow on top to get some sort of happy medium quality (I know, it doesn't exist in a good shop and it ususally doesn't in mine either) and it looked pretty good - brighter than one coat only and if registration is off a little it isn't too noticeable.

So - will the Finesse hold up because it literally came down to the minute and I went out on a limb and didn't do a wash test.

Wow...if this would have been my first printing experience, I would put the squeegees down and do something else.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Hi, I had one of those days too. Anyway I've never heard anyone using finesse as an underbase. Finesse is meant to be a curable reducer. You may have made a big mistake, now time will only tell. Why didn't you just use white as an underbase?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seemed to cure fine, but am doing a wash test now on the line-up shirt I used just to make sure. I also just found a post from several years ago where it was recommended by a poster as a way to help control fibrillation. They suggested putting a base of Finesse down with 160 mesh and printing over it wet. If the wash test goes well, I may give it a shot on a future order and see what happens.

I couldn't use white because of the problems I was having today with my press - something off in the indexing, I think. Will give it a work over later this week. The almost-invisible Finesse underbase allowed me to occasionally be off a fraction without it really showing up badly. The hand was also much softer than hitting it twice with a flash.

Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hrm, that's interesting. I've always heard of Finess being only used as a curable reducer. Although as something to just put down on a shirt as an underbase for other inks to hold on to the shirt... I guess that would work.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The wash test came out fine. Stretch test was also fine. I really smashed the finesse in firmly so as long as it cured, the top plastisol still had a texture to grab hold of. I'll keep my eye out for the shirts and see if the long term is good, as well. It really worked exactly as I had hoped it would, which was good because it truly WAS my last hope to meet the deadline with a good product. I called the Wilflex tech line and spoke with someone that said it is sometimes used as a based for process.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have printed with just curable reducer, no ink, in the screen and it looks cool on sport grey shirts. It gives it a wet look....

It holds up fine in the wash....

Don't know if this helps at all, but it is about "curable reducer" .... ;)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hey All!!

Wilflex Finesse is completely curable! IT can be used in several different function. As an underbase, a base for process colors, an extender, a carrier for phosphorescent pigments, etc.

Very useful product.

Have a wonderful day!

Erin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts