T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My worst fear came true yesterday. We got a lot of rush orders and we're backed up on orders, I take a quick break to return to a non operating conveyor dryer. I check the breaker and try all sorts of things. Electrician too busy to come out on short notice so I had to figure it out on my own.

Well we have a heat press to final cure but that would be a huge pain. We have several flash dryers but that would also be a pain.

I took the control panel apart and guessed that if it wasn't turning on at all, the problem was most likely two fuses that connect to the on and off switch. (I have no experience in electrical work so it was just an educated guess.). I went to an electrical supply store and bought the fuses and popped them in. Thank god that was the issue! It turned back on.

This got me thinkng we weren't prepared at all.
Are you prepared when equipment fails?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Nice post! Problem is there are so many things to prepare for and sometimes you don't realize it untill it's too late. I think being prepared is being able to maintain cool and tackle any situation that may arise. Like yourself. The fact that you took a step back instead of saying i'm F$&'d and stressing about how bad your situation was. You maintained cool went down the list of possibilities and fix'd your own problem. If that had never happened to you, you wouldn't have known to be pre-pared or been able to share with us. So thanks!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Great post I don't think we ever think about a problem arising. I am about to have to fill three seperate orders thanks for this post. I need to put together a back up plan.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's certainly difficult to be prepared for catastrophic equipment failure. The cost of all the equipment helps out with that, the smaller shop that only needs one press and dryer probably isn't going to have enough money to have a whole extra set up just sitting there, but its a great idea to be thinking about so that when something does arise you aren't amazed that a problem occurred. Being prepared for silly things breaking and preventing you from getting things done is the best way to be ready to handle the problems. Typically something will go wrong at some point its just a question of how long til it does. Good Post Mang!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's all very true that so many things can go wrong with equipment but you don't know until it's too late. But I'm pushing myself to build a spare parts cabinent. For things that I might think will go wrong. For instance I bought a conveyor dryer motor last year as a spare, a freakin $400 motor. It sat there all year, but a month ago that thing saved my business! The day it gave up was the day I have major deadlines but I took the old one apart and popped in the new one in 30 minutes. Production back up and running. If it wasn't for the spare, I would have been screwed because those motors are special ordered and takes a week to get.

I am now preparing for spares on the auto like proximity switches and some other things known to go bad.

Being prepared is so important on timeline based businesses.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I have found that the best thing to do for such cases is to buy quality machinery. I buy the best I can or I'll wind up buying two or three of the cheaper. In the long run the best has paid for itself many times over. Yea I keep spare parts like proximity switches and fuses, but there is no way I could keep motors and stuff like that. I had a $2,000 computer, that ran my auto, go out one day had it overnighted and managed to keep the customer happy. But all in all good equipment has kept me going strong. Printers rigging their store to just get by will die by the same rigging one day. Buy the right equipment and things will go a lot easier. Fuses are going to bust count on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts