T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an HM-1 which has been in service a little over a year. We recently switched to the new bright inks. This caused many issues at first during the middle of a shirt run. We addressed those issues but have now run into another problem. We started to get bad nozzle checks. We keep our machine very clean, as a technician noted when he came for repairs. We have replaced the print head three times since changing to the new bright inks. It seems it is always the Cyan ink. It begins by banding and no amount of head cleanings, ink charges or nozzle checks can resolve. We thought we had the problems resolved when the tech was here and began making shirts again. After two weeks of intense shirt making, to make up for being down for two weeks, we find the same Cyan ink issues. We cannot get a good nozzle check no matter what we try. All the other colors are perfect but the Cyan....not so much.

I have to say our vendor for this machine is being more responsive. They are sending yet another print head out. While this may get us up and running I am curious to know if anyone else out there is having Bright Cyan problems. Surely we can't be the only person having issues. Anyone???? Really, anyone???? :confused:

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Have you checked the ink flow from the cyan ink bottle to the print head? Is the breather hole open on the ink bottle? Is there a kink in the hose from the bottle to your damper? Have you tried changing out the cyan damper? On the slim chance that you may have a problem with that particular cyan ink batch, have you tried a fresh bottle of cyan? If this is the fourth print head you're replacing and the problem is always the cyan then I suspect the problem is not with the print head.

Harry

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, we pretty much figure it is an ink issue. They are sending us some new blue ink to try. Kinda makes me think others are having this problem but I have not seen it posted here yet so I thought I'd start the search. Two weeks ago a tech came out and replaced the dampers with cartridges. These are much easier to replace and are supposed to eliminate air bubble issues. Damn this DTG is hard on the nerves. And I don't have that many to spare. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
I take it you are on the east coast right ? I seen on the dtg forum that there were some people that are having problems with colemans bright inks. You might want to check over at that forum. Maybe is it possible to buy your inks from mesa instead of swf east? Just a thought, as I know there are some that were using the bright inks and switched back to the tex 2 inks. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Did you ever try filtering your inks with a coffee filter? That might be a start in finding out if the cyan is the problem.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't think I haven't thought about going back to the old inks. Of course Coleman says they are discontinued. As far as filtering the inks, isn't that supposed to be done before we buy them? I personally am tired of wasting expensive ink doing head cleanings, ink charges and cleaning of lines every time a new ink formula comes out. Ink should go on shirts, not in the waste bottle or in the trash can.

I have received one small bottle of bright blue ink from SWF to try out and some kind of new textile bright cleaner.??? Not sure yet what this is for exactly. I hope we don't have to flush the blue lines and waste even more ink. And if this new bottle of blue works, it won't last very long on all the jobs we have backed up waiting to be printed.

I am trying to be understanding and patient but if you knew the history of all this you'd wonder why this machine was not at the bottom of the Mississippi river by now. :(

Getting ready to put the 6th print head on now.....Yippeeee

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
Wow it sounds like you have had alot of printhead problems :( I dont know about the old inks being discontinued, I know mesa sells the dupont as they always have. It seems I have seen this problem more lately from the coleman inks. Are you still under warrantly? If not I would purchase the inks from someone else as there are quite a few who sell the dupont inks. Are you a member of the dtg america forum? There is a long thread over there having to do with this same issue with the coleman inks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah, we pretty much figure it is an ink issue. They are sending us some new blue ink to try.
There is a possibility that your printer might be infected with bacteria. Ask your tech about it next time he comes to see you or, to check on your own take one of the old dampers that will be replaced when you replace the head and run water through it with a syringe (or have th tech do this for you). If the filter inside the damper is covered with a shiny film there is a 90% chance that you have bacteria growing in your printer and clogging it (the only way to now for sure is to send a sample of the ink to a lab or someone equipped with the right testing equipment, the ink manufacturer should be able to do this). If this is the case changing the head will not be enough as the bacteria will keep on infecting the head and grow in it's nozzles ultimatelly clogging them again and again.
If bacteria is present the printer needs to be disinfected with a special solution that is usually available from the ink manufacturer. Your tech should be able to do this or at least to contact the ink manufacturer and get instructions.

Kinda makes me think others are having this problem but I have not seen it posted here yet so I thought I'd start the search.
Many ink suppliers re-package the ink that they purchase from the manufacturers in large containers and many don't even know that there is danger of bacterial contamination so they don't pay attention to cleansines... However the fact that you are the only person that seems to have the problem suggests that your enviroment might be the cause. Make sure that the equipment you use to fill the printer (eg funnels) are cleaned and dried after every use, clean your bulk ink feed system every 6-10 months and check for mildew and mold in your facility as these can be an issue as well...

Bacteria or Mold contaminations are rare, but in this case it could be a good explanation for your problems...

Milabix

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It seems I have seen this problem more lately from the coleman inks. Are you still under warrantly? If not I would purchase the inks from someone else as there are quite a few who sell the dupont inks. Are you a member of the dtg america forum? There is a long thread over there having to do with this same issue with the coleman inks.
:tipthank:

It is just out of warrantee (naturally) and no we do not belong to the DTG America Forum. I will have to check this out. Thanks.

[/QUOTE=milabix] There is a possibility that your printer might be infected with bacteria. Ask your tech about it next time he comes to see you or, to check on your own take one of the old dampers that will be replaced when you replace the head and run water through it with a syringe (or have th tech do this for you). If the filter inside the damper is covered with a shiny film there is a 90% chance that you have bacteria growing in your printer and clogging it[/QUOTE]

The tech was just here about 2 weeks ago to change the print head and also put in ink cartridges in place of the old dampers in the MH-1. He replaced all the ink lines with new ones, cleaned everything on the machine. Our work space is probably as clean as you'll find anywhere. Air conditioned and very open. I have never heard of bacteria as an issue with any kind of inkjet equipment before so this is interesting to me.

I will be running some tests with this new ink tomorrow if work load allows. We seem to learn something new every day about this machines capabilities and even more about its limitations. We have torn this machine apart so many times, most of us feel we could be hired as techs. No, we have enough headaches just trying to get this one to run properly. Don't need to worry about a few hundred more to repair. :eek:
:tipthank:

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
Wags, I have never heard of anything to do with bacteria either, but I have heard of the problems with the coleman ink. The main problem I have heard is about ink bleeding from the printhead, and I have seen posts on the dtg forum from many owners about this, not just one. The others I have seen have this problem have switched back to the dupont ink and their problems went away. The reason I have not posted a link to the info here is that it wont work, as the forum is private for machine owners only. The way to get membership is you have to request and invitation number from mesa and then register. Hope this helps :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts